Static Mesh List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static Mesh List

Does anyone know where I get get a list of the static meshes included with UT2003? Preferably with thumbnail pictures so it would be easier to select what you want to use in a map instead of hit or miss. I just want to try to spruce up a basic map with static mesh decorations but it is hard to know everything available by hunting and pecking though the mesh pakages.

Thanks in advance.

There's no easy way to do it.

You'll eventually find a method that works for you.

What I do is.....go into the UT2003 staticmesh folder and look at the file size of the packages. Start your search/browsing with the bigger file sizes.

Another way is to run through the maps 1by1 in-game, take notes on the ones you like. Open each map and cut/paste them into a large "mesh" room within your project. Instead of cut/paste, you could right click on the mesh and in the properties/display....you will find the package that it's in.

Comment

After a while you get to know what's what, just practice and keep browsing the packages. I simply associate package names with the meshes - Arbhorea = the Alien stuff used in maps like Tokara forest, Barrens and Egypt names are all Egypt styled stuff, Bastien, Humanoid Hardware, PipeStatic etc are all Concrete and human styled stuff, Mech and Evil = the really nice meshes etc used in DM-Crash and some of the other Bonus Pack maps, etc etc..

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions, keep them coming if there are other ideas!

Its maybe funny but I sometimes get level design ideas inspired by cool texture designs and patterns so that the room shapes compliment the texture layouts. The same holds true for static meshes in the game. Its like i'm wrapping a level around the stuff as if they are the framework. Kinda like the plank on frame way of ship building. But maybe thats an inside-out way of making levels?

Comment

You mean building a level around your meshes? Like, place meshes and build BSP up around those? That's how I normally work, you can get the meshes to look nicely integrated into a map like that, whereas slotting meshes in afterwards tends to look very artificial I find

Comment

Yeah, sorta like that or a combo of both methods. I'm just experimenting with a big "static mesh room" inserting meshes I like just to toy with how that fit together and imagine possible rooms around them before I build it is a separate subtracted area using the ideas I get.

Also, when I exit UED3 what does it mean when it prompts to save package #, etc? I said no and the level still loads intact into UED3 when I fire it back up. Is that like to save the meshes into the mylevel or something in case you use custom meshes or meshes from other map packs so it works for those who don't have them by default?

Comment

Always always click 'No' when prompted to save packages after closing Ued. Generally it tends to happen if you've reskinned meshes or made other alterations to things in the level.

Comment

This page on the Wiki is a useful reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil
                  This page on the Wiki is a useful reference.
                  Man, that would have been useful about 5 months ago when I first started. It's a good place to start. Thanks Mr. Evil!

Comment

very nice.. great link... thanks

Comment

I was making a database with pictures a while back. I still may later on, but only if I make a script where anybody can upload a pic and stuff :-P

Comment

He he...I have a database with pictures but I dont think they're the sort of pictures you're talking about

Comment

the "hardware" packages are usually the ones you want. though not always. you really just have to dig in them.

same with textures. the "terrain" packages have lots of grassy and rocky, dirty types. the "architecutre" packages have lots of kinds of textures for buildings and walls and such. the "hardware" packages are usually skins, and should be avoided.

Comment

Working...
                          X