Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating doorways to the shape of a mesh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating doorways to the shape of a mesh...

Hey guys,

I was wondering what is the best way of creating a doorway that accurately follows the shape of a static mesh? I need to cut a doorway to the shape of an archway static mesh, which requires a pretty precise shape.

So far I can see three options:

2D shape editor.
    Freehand polygon drawer.
    Vertex editor.

I want to try and stay away from the last one, since I know it can cause bsp errors if not done propely, and I'm sure the other two are more effective tools anyway. So, which is best for the job and how do I best go about following the shape of the mesh?

Thanks for any help.

If your mesh is a very precise shape and the doorway is not going to end up being a strange non concave object, you can always create a brush in the 3D program that you are using that would match that mesh, export it as an ASE and import it as a brush in UnrealEd.

This could cause problems if your shape is too complicated, but it has helped me a bunch of times when I need a very precise shape for the level.

Hope it helps

Cheers:up:

Comment

the freehand polygon drawer thing has some issues with my system so I don't use it often...I usually take a screenshot of the mesh...then set it as the background in the 2d shape editor...then put the verticies where needed...after that I put it into the level...then use the vertex editing tool to adjust it since it usually isn't 100% correct...you can also sue a combination of other meshes to fill in the gap too...however using bsp works fairly well if the outline is fairly simple...

Comment

If your using an arch mesh, what use for precision? Just make a cylinder, rotate it, intersect and subtract. The arch mesh covers up the subtraction itself.

Comment

Originally posted by PointlesS
          the freehand polygon drawer thing has some issues with my system so I don't use it often...I usually take a screenshot of the mesh...then set it as the background in the 2d shape editor...then put the verticies where needed...after that I put it into the level...then use the vertex editing tool to adjust it since it usually isn't 100% correct...you can also sue a combination of other meshes to fill in the gap too...however using bsp works fairly well if the outline is fairly simple...
          excellent idea. Now why didn't I think of that?

thanks.

Comment

i make cut brush any way you like it up to a point ..but give me sketch of door way and copy of door jam even if its 3dsmax file
            and ill give you back your door with its precision cut door well
            ssorry i will not tell you how just cut it out for you if you like

http://www.unrealed.orcon.net.nz/image_two.htm to left are doors

Comment

Originally posted by PointlesS
              How do you set a background in your 2D shape editor?

Aphe'x

Comment

hmm

make a mesh in 3d max shape of door inna area ,export then inport and convert to brush boole and its cut

Comment

After you got the static mesh in the map then right clic it then convert to brush then pull the static out of the way.

Then unhighlight anything and do a geometric build.

Then u will see your red builder brush exact shape as the static was. Make a subtract.

Your subtract is there and open its properties and go to display and set the 3d x y and z to a tad above/or below 1 like 1.03 or 1.05 or 0.97ect.

Place it where you want and do a geo build then put your static inside it.

But actually you might want to have that brush just a tad smaller then the SM like x y and z at 0.97 ect. Depends on what the mesh looks like..

Comment

to get a picture use file>image from the 2d shape editor menu

as I said though I'd only do it if it's a fairly simple shape and if you lack modeling skills...

Comment

Working...
                    X