No announcement yet.

unreal 2004 with 3ds max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aren't the .psk files on the installation cd's? I can't check right now but I found a reference mentioning opening a .psk file from there.

Comment

no i looked where are the charicters files do i need to have a packet editor or sumthing? i looked all over for charicter files on the unreal 2004 directory and didnt find anything

Comment

I don't think you're gonna have any luck finding psk files. Not that it would make any difference since you can't import it into anything other then UED anyway.

I've seen tutorials people made with official UT2003 character models on the web. Does this mean the official models were released tot he public at some point maybe?

Comment

CD6, or map CD6 for the DVD, has the character models of some (maybe even all) characters from the game. You can find them under Extras - SkinArt - Meshes. Also included are the textures and -I think- animation files.

Also there is Milkshape, a 3D package that can read and save to .psk. You could edit in this software, or convert to something 3DS Max or Maya could read: http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising!

Comment

but all i wana do is make my own charicter from existing charicters ya know and where and what is a pks fine i havent seen one yet in the directory sorry for bein sutch a noob im just kinda confused i have other posts goin on and they arnt telling me anything useful

Comment

Editing or creating characters is one of the more difficult things to grasp. There are no tools yet that let you 1-2-create a character for unreal (or any other 3d game for that matter).

I strongly recommend you try some tutorials on basic mapping and texturing for UnrealED. Try the links in the sticky posts of this section. Also, the Special Edition ut2004 has lots of tutorials (you can find those on http://www.masteringunreal.com too).

Once you know how texturing works, you can move on to more difficult stuff like texturing characters.

Comment

Why are you looking for pre-existing characters if you're looking to create your own? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you wanted to paint custom textures for existing characters.

Come to think of it, if you're looking to paint custom textures for existing characters you don't even need the original meshes since you can just extract texture files through UED and paint over what's already there. Of course, you'll need a .dds file reader for photoshop but that's easy enough to find on line.

If you actually want to create characters from scratch that's a whole other story.

Comment

ok heres what i wana do i wana make my own charicter but have an existing texture like on xan he has the green and the yello all i want it that and make my own robot guy but with xan's colors

Comment

Trying to use a preexisting texture map on a new character is an exercise in extreme frustration. If you need access to the "colors", I suggest you get the .dds plugin for photoshop and grab colors for a new texture. Maybe some parts of the preexisting texture can be used but I doubt it without pulling half your hair out.

Comment

Originally posted by sangwoo_h
                      As far as I know you can only export static meshes out of UT2004 using going under UED's File->Export. You use this by placing the static mesh you want in to an empty scene, say a hellbender static mesh, then export an obj using UED's File->Export.

Unfortunately the UV information does not translate so tough luck there.
                      Actually the UV's remain just fine (check my sig ) Make sure your OBJ importer/exporter is set to use 5 digits, this also solves the problem wher small models get welded to in one vertex using the OBJ exporte.

Comment

Evile: What OBJ importer/exporter do you use? I've found a way to export models out of UnrealED, but have many problems getting it into Max

Comment

I think ther is only the HABware one for free, it's been around for years.

Here's the Max 5 ones (about halfway down the page) you need to get Max2OBJ and OBJ2Max.

http://maxplugins.de/max5.php?page=5...t%20/%20Export

There are ones for all versions, but you should be able to find any Max version easy enough on that site (just search for HABware).

http://maxplugins.de (different max versions root page)

That is the best plugin site bar none, bookmark it.

Comment

Thanks for answering. There are some problems I find using the HABware plugin. The mesh I imported has some flipped normals, plus it did not keep the UVmapping it had in UED. Is this due to my settings for the plugin or solved by using a different importer/exporter?

Comment

Found a program that does the trick of keeping the existing uvmap. I used the HABware plugin for Max first, but when I put an 'unwrap UVW' on a mesh, there's no existing reference.

If I use Deep Exploration (http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/) for exporting the UED .obj file to .3ds, it has kept all the info. Pretty cool. Redefining the material id's is still necessary, but that's not too much trouble. The program can also export to Maya file types.

Comment

back to actor x...

does anyone in this thread know about why actor x fails to initialize when I start 3d Sudio Max 5? I made some vehicles that I want to try and test in the game, but apparently I need to export them using actor x. Being that it won't initialize, I cannot export. Should I just try jamlander?

Comment

Working...
                                X