Using real USGS terrain data for maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using real USGS terrain data for maps

I can convert US Geological Terrain and elevation data to 3DS, but it errors out in UnrealEd. I think it is because it has too many polys - does anyone know for sure, or how many poly's a level can have?

Does anyone have any experience in pulling in DTED or DEM data to UT2?

Thanks!

Perhaps you could break it up in to smaller pieces for import, or convert it to a greyscale bitmap and use it as a terrain heightmap.

Comment

Tried Terredit with the grayscale and I don't get near the detail I want.

When breaking them up, I'm not sure I can get the coordinate accuracy when I put it back together.

My only thought is to manually edit the mesh to reduce poly's, or find something that can smooth a mesh to reduce poly's.

Comment

I once tried to do this with Ordanance Survey data from here in the UK and the best I could get was having the "floor" of the map as a static mesh.

It wasn't pretty when I fired up the level :lol:

Comment

Well, your heightmap can't be of an insane resolution, so if the detail isn't what you where hoping for, then I think you should give up. A height map of 512 x 512 is really the max you should use, IMO.

Comment

Sounds good - Thanks!

Comment

for the love of god, dont use a 512x512 heightmap!!!

2(n-1)^2. that is the formula for terrain polycount, where n is the size of the heightmap (we assume its square). thats 522,242 polys. ouch.

256 at most. even still its 130,050.

Comment

I think for a really massive terrain, 512 x 512 should still be possible (I'm talking very large maps here, with some well placed anti-portals).

Not that I've ever used a 512 x 512 heightmap.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyNuke
                  I think for a really massive terrain, 512 x 512 should still be possible (I'm talking very large maps here, with some well placed anti-portals).

Not that I've ever used a 512 x 512 heightmap.
                  I tried once, and with the terrain, one light and one static mesh it took UEd 1 hour to rebuild it. It didn't run that bad in-game though.

Comment

Just to test, I once tried a 2048 x 2048 heightmap. It crashed during rebuild, couldn't take it anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X