texture mapping static meshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

texture mapping static meshes

i have completed a static mesh of a building using max 4 to build and texture it, it is fairly comlex about 2500 polys but nothing wacky. I have multi sub object mapped it and exported all the textures from photshop as 512 x512 bmps. i have imported the textures and all seemed well but when i imported the mesh two or three of the textures are missing and one of the textures is mapped in the wrong place. Now i tried using the missing textures on a subtracted box and it appears in the viewport but not if you play the game. I've tryed different file types and names for the textures and differnt UVW co-ordinates but nothing seems to work, can someone please help me before i loose all my hair

If i replace one of the missing textures with one that works it appears fine and in the correct place

I've had problems with it doing that as well. I ended up not using sub-mapping at all, now I just Detach the polys that have the same texture, then map everything, then reattach the objects and weld the vertices. Never had a problem doing it that way.

Comment

i have had problems when importing as well. i have found that multi/sub objects are usually fool proof, but not aways. sometimes material id's dont export when they dont have a texture in max. procedural textures dont count. they need some material assigned to them, and mapped properly. what i normally do is assign all polys to ID 1, and then select a group, assign it ID 2, select more, assign ID3 (all this based on where the 2nd, 3rd, 4th texture will be). then when im done, i go back and select by ID and assign the correct material using the "assign to selection" button. this has never failed me.

Comment

Thanks for your replys, but i'm still getting no where quickly.

Can you have open ended polys - an element that has not had it's vertices welded to the main body of the model but is attached?

Comment

you can in max, yes. im not sure about other programs, though im not sure other programs have elements, lol. but yes, elements are fine.

Comment

Thanks folks i seem to getting on now i've had to basically re-apply all my UVW's and textures, taking them into Unreal ED and testing them one at a time. Some times i had to detaching polys or elements and texturing them separately then re attaching. Not sure why but that seems to work. Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X