Static meshes vs FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static meshes vs FPS

Does one static mesh with 224 triangles showing 50 times affects game performance?

Doing the math, 224x50 = 11,200 triangles wich it seems not too much for an open space.

I know that static meshes takes less space on the video card memory than BSP's and are faster to render.

Also it doesn't matter how many times a static mesh is showing because the they are stored just once on the video card memory, that's why it doesn't take much memory.

What affects my performace besides SM and BSP's? how can I debug my map and see where my performance problems resides, how ca I be sure if the "stats render" command shows what I need to check?

while it's stored in the memory once...each one of them still needs to be rendered individually...anyways it really depends on the map layout (for effective antiportal and zone optimization) and the other objects in the level to see how it affects fps...plus also what the mesh looks like...if it's a small decoration then chances are it'll be easier on the fps since it's small it can be occluded easier with antiportals/zones...but if it's a large decoration that's constantly in the scene then rendering 50 of them at once may take a hit...50-224 poly meshes by itself shouldn't be a problem at all...but it just depends on what else is around it too..

Comment

I don't think it will be a problem. In DM-IronDiety there are single meshes that have over 8000 triangles, and there were 3 or 4 of them on screen at once.

Comment

Re: Static meshes vs FPS

Originally posted by el_geto
        What affects my performace besides SM and BSP's? how can I debug my map and see where my performance problems resides, how ca I be sure if the "stats render" command shows what I need to check?
        type in 'rmode 1' into the console while you are in game. You will see a wireframe view of your map and you will see what actually is rendered right now. This may help you to set antiportals where they are needed. You can also check the other 'rmode's but '1' is the most important.

Comment

Working...
        X