Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bots ignoring elevator...

Greetings!

I'm creating a smallish 2K4 DM map (eight players max) and in the process of finalizing the layout. I added an elevator from the first level to reach the third level, set the center and exits correctly, added path nodes, and build all compiled without errors.

When I go into gameplay, the bots completely ignore the elevator and prefer to run around on the first level killing each other. I also noticed that they are ignoring another elevator that they previously used prior to this new elevator going in. They still use the jump pads elsewhere to get to the higher levels.

What's going on here?

Should I finalize my layout first and worry about the bots later?

Do I need to make elevator double wide (256 x 512)?

If the bots don't like the elevator, should I take it out?

Maybe a teleporter would work better?

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer

i remember watching in that DVD that u get from the special addition UT2K4, it said u need this actor, im at school till 4ish but when i find out what it is ill tell u. Its like a path node but its an actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bum
      i remember watching in that DVD that u get from the special addition UT2K4, it said u need this actor, im at school till 4ish but when i find out what it is ill tell u. Its like a path node but its an actor.
      I got a Lift Center in the middle of the mover brush and a Lift Exit at the bottom and top, just like my other elevator, and view paths shows the connections to the other path nodes. The bots should be using this elevator but are ignoring it completely.

Looking through UDN, I can't find any other actors that can be used in this situation. The only thing I haven't tried yet is to set the keyframe on the Lift Exits. Maybe that might help.

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer

Comment

I know this is gonna sound like a stupid question, but...
        Is there any reason for the bots to use the elevator? Any shields or weapons up there that aren't on the ground level? Because, sorta like me, I wouldn't even take the lazy way out (using the elevator instead of the jumpads) if I was only going to be able to get stuff that was on the ground level. If you've given them incentive to go up there, then I'll look around for something else that may work.

Also, did you try just putting one bot in, spectating it and seeing if it uses it? Maybe there are just enemies in it's view and it'd rather have a piece of them then play with the elevator.

Comment

At the top of the elevator is a link gun and damage power-up. The third floor also has the sniper rifle and super shield. I been tweaking the item placement to lure the bots to the third level but nothing seems to work. They stopped using the other elevator which was working fine before. Either the elevator or the third level layout sucks for some reason.

If the bots spawn on top or the middle level, they like to drop down to the bottom level where there's a lot of cross traffic and fighting going on. This particular area is probably the second most active area. Maybe a teleporter would work better?

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer

Comment

Hrm.... I made a room based on what you said, 3 levels and stuff and put my elevator in and lift center and lift exits and for some reason now my botpath to the elevator won't work either....
            There are green botpaths around and leading upto the elevator and on the top level, yet only purple(oneway) ones leading of the elevator. That is indeed strange. I even went back to the tutorials to see if I messed something up and what I did followed what they said. Now I'M stumped...

lol

I'll keep messin with it.

Hrm... on the tut the paths are purple too yet his bots aren't avoiding them like the plague. I even tried to forcepath it and that didn't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by thesonofdarwin
              Hrm.... I made a room based on what you said, 3 levels and stuff and put my elevator in and lift center and lift exits and for some reason now my botpath to the elevator won't work either....
              There are green botpaths around and leading upto the elevator and on the top level, yet only purple(oneway) ones leading of the elevator. That is indeed strange. I even went back to the tutorials to see if I messed something up and what I did followed what they said. Now I'M stumped...
              Would height be an issue? My first-to-third floor elevator is 896 units from floor to floor. My other elevator and jump pads are floor to floor (less than 512 units). Maybe there's a limitation as to how tall an elevator can be. Maybe the bots are claustrophobic?

A teleporter is starting to look very attractive now.

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer

Comment

My room was only 512 high, and I know that that shouldn't be too high. For some reason when I tested the bots wouldnt even STEP on the elevator unless I put just a normal pathnode there, and then he just ran back off. There has to be something going on and with all these new maps people have to know how to help you/us.

If you find an answer, rather than spastic bots, let me know please

Comment

According to the UDN Navigation AI article, if the mover's bNoAIRelevance property is set to true, the bots won't pay any attention to the mover.

I'll have to check this out when I get home from work. If this property was accidentally turned on, then it would explain the bots behavior.

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer

Comment

Mine was already set to false and they were ignoring it. Tried setting it to true as well to see if the reverse was true and the bots still ignore. Mine's not even a real map and I'm still getting annoyed. Grr... lol

Edit: Also tried greatly increasing the size of the lift and that didn't work either.

Tried comparing my setup with another working map and they appear the same... without writing down every single thing. Still no luck, but I may take a break tonight.

Comment

This thread might shed some light:

Bot WILL NOT use lift (resolved)

According to the thread, only the really skilled bots use the lifts (haven't tested it myself).

Comment

Dangit Hamdinger, I just found it. Guess when I searched earlier I shoulda used lift too instead of just elevator. My mistake. That does fix the problem on my map, it probably will your's too Chris. The bots were too stupid.

Was funny too in my map cause it only had enough room for the elevator and about 2 bots to walk around a few units and when I put a godlike bot in there it was like instant shieldgun deaths multiple times. Lowered the skill level so I could escape him to the top of my "level" and he followed me right up with his shield gun after the lift went back down and killed me. I think one or two above the lowest setting will enable him to use the lift - Atleast it did for me. Goodluck Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamdinger
                          According to the thread, only the really skilled bots use the lifts (haven't tested it myself).
                          Duh! I guess we need to wait for Unreal 3 for this bug to be fixed. I'll check it out on my map when I get home.

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer

Comment

Increasing the bot skill level made them smarter to use the elevators. I didn't notice this before since I usually play at adept rather than the default setting.

After checking out a few of the maps that came with 2K4, I've decided to replace my floor-to-floor elevator with a ramp and use a teleporter for the first-floor-to-third-floor elevator. This works out a lot better for the game flow.

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer

Comment

hey guys i had this problem too..however........i turnd the bots difficulty up to adept + and they do use it....anything lower and they dont...any ideas ?

(edited)sory i didnt see the last couple posts makes sense now tho hehe

Comment

Working...
                              X