Palmtrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palmtrees

Im looking for palmtrees static meshes ( cool ones ). Does anyone have good palmtrees so I can use them? (Post pictures please )

Anyone?

Comment

not here

Comment

Where else?

Comment

i meant i don't know anywhere to find them

Comment

look in arboreahardware and str_plant_meshes...some good tress and plants there...

Comment

How realistic do you need them? I was just actually just starting to model a potted palm tree (two trunks) and was going to use them to learn how to do static meshes.

Comment

Here are a couple shots of my tree:

Wide Angle - Floor Up:

Isometric:

As I said, I'm learning how to make static meshes. Let me know if you're interested in these.

Comment

how many polys is that? that looks pretty good...the only thing I'd recommend is move the brown bark textures down more the other texture looks like sand...

Comment

How many polys would you need it to be? Right now it has nearly 3000 faces, but I have some smoothing on there.

I'm new to this, so for future reference what's a good number to shoot for when making static meshes?

Comment

There's a couple nice realistic palm trees in the new UT2k4 SM packages, for example BenMesh01.PalmTree01

Comment

Originally posted by WickedPenguin
                        How many polys would you need it to be? Right now it has nearly 3000 faces, but I have some smoothing on there.

I'm new to this, so for future reference what's a good number to shoot for when making static meshes?
                        It depends what kind of mesh you're making. You should try to keep it to a minimum if you can just for performance's sake. For instace, say if you're modeling a barrel, you don't need it to have 64 sides when it looks fine with only 16-24. Some of the meshes in DM-IronDiety have over 8000 triangles, but some people have said that performance is a little stretched.

As for a simple Palm tree, it looks like you're cutting out 3D leaves with a green texture applied; there is a better way. If you want a good example, look at the trees in CTF-GrassyKnoll, that seems to be the most efficient way of designing tree leaves. I think 3000 polys on a tree is too much anyway. Something between 100-300 is good.

Comment

Working...
                        X