Animation Sequence Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animation Sequence Rotation

I have a model that has different rotations for each animation sequence.
    I have tried to edit the rotation of an individual sequence but it rotates about every way but the right way.
    The problem is that each sequence that is imported seems to have a different rotation, so just editing the mesh rotation only works for a few of the animation sequences.
    Any way to rotate each individual sequence, or any way to edit a .smd to rotate the model to match the other animation sequences.

(It sounds like you already tried this, if so ignore and jump to the next paragraph) In the Animation Browser, select your model (with its associated linked skeletal animation), and then click on the animation sequence that you want to adjust, then click the 'Sequence Tab->Adjust->Rotation'. Remember to use Unreal's rotation units for the values (16384 = 90 degrees).

I seem to remember that the per-sequence rotation adjustment was a little bit troublesome/wonky, and you may have to be running the animation to see any difference.

For the .smd editing (open with NotePad as they are text files if I recall correctly), you might be able to find the root bone of the animation (usually the 0 index bone, or the one with no parent bone) and then add/subtract Pi/2 (1.57....) to the yaw or pitch or roll value for the reference pose. I don't quite remember if the .smd format simply adds the animation sequence rotations to the base reference pose, or simply uses each animation rotation key as its own "pose" frame....

Comment

I am looking into editing the smd in notepad.
      I can load 2 of the smd animations in Milkshape that seem to have different rotations at the start of each sequence to see if anything I change will work.

This is one of the sequences I want to edit the rotation for.
      The sequence has like 27 frames, the first bone looks like this.
      time 0
      0 -0.001947 -1.148473 37.697483 -1.570796 -0.738919 -1.562137
      Should I edit this?

I was also thinking if that isn't it, is there a line I could input to rotate models animation sequence.
      $poseparameter "move_yaw" -180 180 wrap

or
      }
      $animation a_RuN "RunN" loop fps 35.00 LX LY startloop 0 rotateto -90 {
      alignto ragdoll

Comment

I've tried a few things, not sure if I'm getting anywhere.
        The smd files for the 2 animations sequences that have 2 different rotations, when opened in notepad, have just lots of coordinates and numbers for each frame.
        I am not sure what to edit.

I have tried to edit a couple lines in the qc file that was with the smd files, but not sure if that does anything.
        Maybe I could post the smd in text format to see, for some reason I thought that editing the qc file would load the animation sequence to specify rotation.

Comment

the qc file (as I recall) only lists the sequence name, keyframes (startframe, numframes in length, play rate), I don't think there was any rotation specification in it (at least I know my own .SMD-2-.PSK converter did not do that, I'm not sure if Milkshape's built in .psa exporter "ate" rotation adjustments in the .qc files), only the animation sequence .smd file contains those numbers.

From the sample you posted above, edit one of the last three numbers (currently they are -Pi/2 or -90 degrees, ~-42 degrees, and ~-90 degrees) -IF- frame 0 is the first frame of the sequence, and even then you may need to adjust the same value in every other frame of the sequence for the root joint... (typically you would want to add or subtract 1.5708 from the existing value to turn it by 90 degrees left or right).
          Code:
          time 0
          0 -0.001947 -1.148473 37.697483 -1.570796 -0.738919 -1.562137 // <- it would be one of the 
           // last three numbers that you would edit as they are the pitch, yaw, roll values (though I don't 
           // remember what order they appear in, or which order they are applied in e.g. yaw, then pitch, then roll etc.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the help on that.
            You were right, I will have to add the rotation adjustment for the root bone on every frame, not hard just tedious.
            Some I had to add the total amount of Pi which is like 3.14159
            , for the others, half of Pi like you said.

Comment

I figured out that I need to edit another point. This time its the position, I know how to do this.
              Is there an easier way to freeze one of the axis of the animation, I can do it by editing the .smd file,
              but is there a faster way to edit each of the frames, instead of changing the number in each frame.

Comment

Working...
              X