Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT2004 Custom Skeleton Karma Ragdoll Too Big!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2004 Custom Skeleton Karma Ragdoll Too Big!

Hey, I have recently had a Karma Ragdoll made for my custom skeleton and custom animation model for UT2004. He works in game, but when he ragdolls, his model in-game stretches to appear really long ( like slender man ).

I know what the problem is, I just want to know if there is a way I can rescale the model to fit my model in the animations browser. When I first imported my PSK into the UnrealEd Anims browser my character's default mesh dimensions are 1.0.in every axis

I edited this to reflect the UT2004 average player size which ended up being 0.58 instead of the UT2K4 default of - 0.39
    With these dimensions and abit of figuring about with the translation height, i managed to make my model stand with feet touching the floor and be the same size as a default UT2K4 character.

I just need to know now how to edit the scale of my karma model down to the size of my one in the anims browser

Thanks

hmm, I seem to remember having a similar problem back when I worked on my own custom player models and karma ragdoll files.

See this link if you have not already done so, specifically the second bullet point regarding scaling factor which is based on what the final scale will be in game (this seems to be based on the 3D scale applied to the skeletal mesh in the mesh browser, but also possibly the 'drawscale' variable of the actor using the skeletal mesh if I recall correctly). Using KAT is the best way to edit the scale but since the *.ka karma file is a text file (just open it up with NotePad.exe) in .xml format, you might be able to adjust the very first entry scale value manually (I have not tested this so I don't know if it will work, but I think it just might...).

For example in my own player models I used a Skeletal Mesh scale factor of 1.5 on all three axes in UEd to get the correct size in game to match the other player models. Using the above link that stated that Unreal Units (UUs) to Karma was a ratio of 50-to-1 or 0.02, my karma asset scale was simply 0.02 * 1.5 = 0.03, which you can see in the line below from my .ka file:
    <ASSET id="YMswat2rd" graphic="Beachhead.psk" scale="0.03" mass_scale="1" length_scale="1">

I hope that helps.

[EDIT] Upon further testing it looks like that "scale=..." line is just for documentation purposes and adjusting it in the .ka file does nothing in game. The sphere/sphyl radii and heights listed in the .ka file really are what is used in game and would have to be adjusted individually if the scale is off (which is why KAT would probably be the way to go).

Comment

Originally posted by meowcat View Post
      hmm, I seem to remember having a similar problem back when I worked on my own custom player models and karma ragdoll files.

See this link if you have not already done so, specifically the second bullet point regarding scaling factor which is based on what the final scale will be in game (this seems to be based on the 3D scale applied to the skeletal mesh in the mesh browser, but also possibly the 'drawscale' variable of the actor using the skeletal mesh if I recall correctly). Using KAT is the best way to edit the scale but since the *.ka karma file is a text file (just open it up with NotePad.exe) in .xml format, you might be able to adjust the very first entry scale value manually (I have not tested this so I don't know if it will work, but I think it just might...).

For example in my own player models I used a Skeletal Mesh scale factor of 1.5 on all three axes in UEd to get the correct size in game to match the other player models. Using the above link that stated that Unreal Units (UUs) to Karma was a ratio of 50-to-1 or 0.02, my karma asset scale was simply 0.02 * 1.5 = 0.03, which you can see in the line below from my .ka file:
      <ASSET id="YMswat2rd" graphic="Beachhead.psk" scale="0.03" mass_scale="1" length_scale="1">

I hope that helps.
      Putting anything as the scale doesn't seem to do anything at all. So using the Unreal Units, what would 0.58 scale be for my mesh?

Also how did you setup your .KA file to your model? This is what my UPL looks like ..
      [Public]
      Player(DefaultName="HumanSoldier",Race="Human",Mes h=MassHumanSoldier.HumanSoldier,species=Xgame.SPEC IES_Merc,BodySkin=MassHumanSoldierTextures.HumanSo ldier_Body,FaceSkin=MassHumanSoldierTextures.Human Soldier_Body,Portrait=MassHumanSoldierTextures.Hum anSoldier_Body,Text=XPlayers.HumanSoldier,Sex=male ,Menu="",CombatStyle=+0.5,Tactics=+0.5,StrafingAbi lity=+0.0,Accuracy=+0.9,Jumpiness=+0.0,BotUse=3,Te amFace=1,BotUse=5,FavoriteWeapon=xWeapons.machineg un,Ragdoll=NewSoldier,Skeleton=MassHumanSoldier.Hu manSoldier_Skeleton)

It's probably important to note that I don't have sockets hooked up yet either

Comment

Hmm, yeah I tested it out too and adjusting the scale line in the *.ka text file does not do anything, it must be that the collision primitive values listed in the file really do contain the actual values (for the sphyl/sphere radii and heights).... this means that you would have to adjust the physics asset in KAT. On a side note use the console command 'kdraw collision' to show the ragdoll physics primitives in game.

Where is the 0.58 scale applied, in the UEd skeletal mesh browser?

In your .upl file, the entry for Ragdoll=QQQQQ, where QQQQQ is the name of the karma physics asset listed *inside* the .ka text file. In my case since I only use my player models within my mod I just setup the karma ragdoll parameter directly in the default properties.

Comment

Yes, the scale is applied in the UEd animations browser.. Not the Skeletal Mesh Browser unless you are confusing the animations browser with it?

If you want to take a deeper look into what's going on, here are my files - http://www.sendspace.com/file/3a3ygq

Also I have no idea what the skeletal thing means in the UPL.. So I just copied in the PSK of the same model but named it HumanSoldier_Skeletal

I just tried re-importing the PSK again ( the one with the broken hierachy ) and made it a scale of 0.3 with 50:1 scaling on.. it seems relatively the same height.. I just dont think you can edit the scale after import sadly :/ so it'll probably need to be redone which is a mega pain in the *** because the hierachy was originally a mess and needed tidying up abit :/ tell me if you find a way

Comment

I'll take a look at the file and let you know (it will probably be a day or two).

Comment

Okay, if you can do it sooner it'd be much appreciated. I am pulling my hair out trying to think of a work-around

Comment

The work around would be to re-build the karma rig in KAT, it can be a good learning experience

Comment

The only problem is, I failed doing my Karma ragdoll the first time around so I had someone else do it for me, which are the results you saw. Do you know how I edit the hierachy in it?

Also, just to make sure.. What would 0.580000 be in KAT for it to be aligned with my models dimensions?

Comment

So would it be 0.0116 if my mesh is 0.580000 in the animation browser?

Comment

That scale (0.0116) appears correct to me for what should be used in KAT.

Comment

That scale (0.0116) appears correct to me for what should be used in KAT.
                        Okay I got the scale sorted by redoing the whole thing. The ragdoll is acceptable to an extent, but I'll need to tweak it after. Right now, my main problem is sockets.. I have little to no idea how they work, my weapon is attached to my characters RightWrist bone ( custom skele ).. and the gun shows up, but it's rotated to the side and sticking out of his body.. When I try to use the rotation values, it defaults back to 0 when i reload the save in animation browser, or if I open another model. Is this meant to happen or am I doing something wrong?

Also it's probably worth noting another problem..My character seems to stop animating after firing for however long the firing animation is in frames.. Any idea what this could be? he just slides across the floor until the animation is over and returns back to normal until I fire again

FIXED the problem with the sockets ( kind of ).. Might need to come back to that, but the animation problems are still there

Comment

Congratulations on getting the KAT physics rig setup! (You'd probably be surprised by how few people ever bother working on their own ragdoll assets...)

The animation problem is most likely occurring because the xPawn unrealscript code expects very specific bone names for setting up the animation channels, the skeleton in this model uses different names. This can be fixed by either renaming the joints in the modeling/animating program and re-export, or by only using that model with some custom mutators/code (either a custom pawn, a custom "hacky" inventory item, or replication info to change the bone names in uscript at runtime).

Comment

Congratulations on getting the KAT physics rig setup! (You'd probably be surprised by how few people ever bother working on their own ragdoll assets...)

The animation problem is most likely occurring because the xPawn unrealscript code expects very specific bone names for setting up the animation channels, the skeleton in this model uses different names. This can be fixed by either renaming the joints in the modeling/animating program and re-export, or by only using that model with some custom mutators/code (either a custom pawn, a custom "hacky" inventory item, or replication info to change the bone names in uscript at runtime).
                            Yep that worked.. But it requires me to rebuild the KAT physics rig again! but this time I can't seem to do it?! It's like I've forgotten everything.. I got so far, but I am at a loss with it right now

Here's the KA file if you want to fix up the bits that are broke for me because I am at my wits end with it - http://www.sendspace.com/file/t5nexn

Comment

Editing the karma text file should work this time (for changing the bone names) provided you did not change the axis orientation or bone hierachy. Just do a global word swap of the old bone names with the new ones (that *should* work)

Comment

Working...
                              X