Milkshape Bone Assingments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milkshape Bone Assingments

I'm trying my hardest to rig my first character properly, but I can't seem to get the bones right on the model. Are there any tips I can use for the future?

Here's what I'm facing at the moment:

Oh cool looks like Star Wars. Well I like doing rigging because it is fun, and when I have problems I take breaks and come back to the model and save in different stages so if I screw something up, I have a progress backup.

Here's my plan of attack when working on rigging a model:
    First, provided the textures are the way I want them before starting.

Import, select all, weld all vertices, import default skeleton, delete that model (or hide for now), scale model to skeleton, unselect all, and sometimes I hide the skeleton from time to time throughout.
    Now hit the select button under the Model tab, select and assign the basic parts, thighs, calves, upper arms, forearms, but usually starting with the pelvis like in tide's tutorial.
    Once you have each major group, you can at least import the.psa and watch it dance to the animations, even though its' pretty rough.
    Then go to the joints like the elbows, knees, ankles, and assign 50/50 weighting to them like the knees have 50% and upper leg 50%, and the body, look at this pic for help on that.

Now, you probably have done all that I have mentioned, but at this point some models look really good, and a lot of the times you need to do some extra tweaking on weighting, and also moving body parts to fit skeleton.
    I usually do like a little bit on a model from day to day, to make it fun, sometimes more that one model at a time just so it's not boring.
    The trick is tweaking the vertex selections and adjusting the weighting to different percentages. Some models have like ring shaped vertices you can select and add a certain percentage to each ring so it blends the way the skin stretches. I have selected just a few vertex at a time and done weighting, which is really tedious, and sometimes it looks worse so I exit out and go back to my save files.
    Also when you getting good at that, the next thing to do, and you may not want to do this right away, and I advise that you save progress. You need to move and scale body parts to fit your skeleton. This is the best and final way to get it to look awesome, you can still do weighting again after certain alterations.

Also you can look at the way the default skeleton is rigged, that shows how some of the rigging looks, although I do notice a lot of UT2004 models have armor that hides where the joints are, which hides the twisting a bit.
    Some more natural models are much harder to get the wrists and elbows to look good. Other areas you will learn as you go is the neck and shoulders, they seem to be tricky sometimes.

Comment

Working...
    X