Destroyable walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destroyable walls?

After coming into contact with games that feature a lot of destroyable environment (like "world of tanks"), I thought about making a map similar to that. As I don't want to use netkarma objects for everything, since that would have a large impact in performance and also only enables things to get knocked over instead of being destroyed, I thought about using movers.

However, movers can only be set to be activated by any damage, and walls would need to be destroyed by specific damage types like explosion damage or vehicle impact.

Is there a custom mover class that can be edited to be activated by special damage or do you know another way on how to achieve this effect?

take a look at the exion ons mod http://www.niara.hu/games/pcgamemods...004/index.html
    to see how they did it

Comment

See Actor Classes and Decoration, DECO_Smashable, for example.

Comment

There's no DECO_Smashable O_o

Exion seems interesting, will have to look into that. Though it does not seem like that's damage type-specific either.

Comment

heres the location of DECO_Smashable
          Click image for larger version

Name:	actor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	3249700

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	nosmash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	3249701

I told you, I don't have that. O_o

And my game is patched and has ECE and so on...

Comment

Technically, you shouldn't be able to play ONS-Urban. Try it.

If it doesn't work, reinstall the Mega Pack. A downside of the two existing DECO_Smashable ojects is that I managed to destroy them by dodging into them. lol
              I don't know how it is with the parent class though (the tolerancy).
              However, I get what you guys are trying to do (subclassing, giving it the proper mesh and collision and giving it a proper broken mesh, emitter and break sound).
              Well, that does remind me.. what about Crusha's toolset? Didn't it contain a breakable mesh?

Comment

The map works, and the barricades also show up as DECO_Barricade. And then it's also in the ACB. And it stays there if I load another map. Strange.

EDIT: Those don't work for my idea as they are indeed destroyable by sheer player force (dogding into, jumping onto) and also don't slow down vehicles at all...

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                  A downside of the two existing DECO_Smashable ojects is that I managed to destroy them by dodging into them. lol
                  ..perfect for windows.

Originally posted by Baryonyx View Post
                  The map works, and the barricades also show up as DECO_Barricade. And then it's also in the ACB. And it stays there if I load another map. Strange.
                  It's probably embedded in the level.

Do you have the OnslaughtBP.u file in your System folder?
                  These particular DECO_* classes are part of the bonus pack (OnslaughtBP.* classes).

(bImperviusToPlayer == false) is what allows the player to smash it.

Anyway, you WOULD need a modified DECO_* class that checks for damage types, but this is a good starting point.

Comment

Make sure that your EDITPACKAGES list in UT2004.ini includes OnslaughtPB.u. Add it to the bottom of the list if it's not there.

Comment

Thanks both of you! Indeed the OnlaughtBP was not in the EDITPACKAGES list.

However, I'm not at all capable of coding... Anyone who would like to help me by making such a subclass?

Comment

Adding the OnslaughtBP to the EditPackages list is one way, the other is to simply choose to open the file from the actor class browser in the Editor and load the entire package.

@Baryonyx: I'll see if I can post a modified subclass here by tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by rejecht View Post
                          ..perfect for windows.
                          Holy nali cow, this is a godly idea! Why didn't I think of this earlier!?
                          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X