Milkshape to UT2004 Video Tutorials - Solid Snake - Zero Suit Samus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milkshape to UT2004 Video Tutorials - Solid Snake - Zero Suit Samus

after having a Skype ScreenShare session with Parkis G about modelling characters for UT2004
    i decided i should make some video tutorials outlining the entire process of porting models into Unreal Tournament 2004 in under an hour.

at first, i was simply practicing pacing and made a silent video for the default Female Skeleton using Zero Suit Samus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hsMhVnk12I

after that experience, i figured i was ready to make my first real voiced tutorial, complete with keyboard shortcut display
    for the default Male Skeleton using Solid Snake

watch in HD on youtube.com
    i apologize, the background music drowns out my voice at times..

as for the models, they still need some more tweaking, gotta reduce Samus' size, lower her gun socket,
    & figure out how to deal Snake's hair alpha transparency issue.::SOLVED:: by enabling "Masked" on his head texture

planning on making a couple of little video tutorials about testing weapon mesh socket/placement
    & how to work with UnrealEd for smaller characters.

ive always been intimidated about doing a character import, since i have seen how Tidel does it, it looks like fun and within my grasp,
    Tidel has shown me how to setup the model and import the model and how it is setup in unrealed,
    basically the whole process is in this video, i am really glad Tidel has made this video, i am looking forward to do some model imports of my own,
    good job Tidel and thanks for the video link

Comment

very helpfull video tidel, so far my model stretches all retarded lol but i think that was cause i moved the bones so im still testing do's and donts so i can finaly put a model in game.

Comment

Originally posted by unrealloco View Post
        very helpfull video tidel, my model stretches all retarded...cause i moved the bones
        thanks for the comment! much appreciated! looking forward to your models!
        yeah, that was one of the very first mistakes i made when i was working on Knuckles (my first model).
        you really can't mess with the skeleton or you have to reanimate everything.
        in retrospect, i really rushed through this video, & just wanted to get the overall process recorded.
        might completely re-do the tutorial or do a couple more shorter tutorials to supplement this one.
        also, i've refined some techniques & am still learning more about unreal.
        just wanted to throw these images on this thread that i made for other users,
        better torso weighing,

scaling characters up in UnrealEd,

do opposite for shrinking

Comment

i seem to spend a lot of time on the arms and legs, the knees and elbows always throw me off,
          some nights i just mess around with it for a few, only to just not save, only because i made it look worse,

i was also wondering the skeleton, some times i move the model, and it seems i have to choose whether i want to have the pelvis close to skeleton or the arms close to it,
          or would it be a good idea to adjust the arms or move arms, so both pelvis and arms line up with skeleton equally,
          i guess its because the default skeleton is kinda hunched a little, and some models are really standing straight up

Comment

Since I use MS3D for all of my mod's models I'll throw in my two cents for what I've found works reasonably well for me.

1. For elbows/Shoulders/knees: I usually weight any vertex rings directly around the joint to 50% joint bone (elbow, shoulder, knee), and 50% to the parent bone.

2. Always make sure that "solid parts" like armor panels and gear are given 100% weighting to a single bone, -OR- the vertices of the entire part are given the exact same weighting to the same set of vertices (a back pack for instance).

3. I make sure that the triangles around a joint are arranged, and UV mapped, to "flex" well. In some cases this means less vertices because the larger triangles actually deform in a more desirable way (and makes rigging a lot easier too).

4. If there is going to be a lot of ugly twisting of certain joints based on animation, I either try to hide the twisted triangles (the shoulders and wrists of a lot of models are examples of this) with clothing (sleeve cuffs) or gear (armored shoulder pads?).

In some instances minor triangle clipping may actually look slightly better than weighing. A good example of this is elbows that end up looking like rubber (with a weird U shape) when bent. Assigning the vertices on the inside of the elbow to either the elbow bone or shoulder bone, and then carefully weighing the vertices on the back of the elbow to both joints can make a slightly more anatomically correct looking elbow (albeit more jagged/ w clipping) that makes for a better model outline/profile from a distance in my opinion.

Comment

^ great advice from the Unreal 2004 Hero, meowcat! working with elbows is certainly difficult and i'm always trying different techniques. thanks for your input meowcat, much appreciated!
              hopefully i can include this kind of advice in another video tutorial.

also wanted to link to ParkisG's thread on the number of triangles/polygons which includes my post about setting LOD Strength to 0 in UnrealEd

Comment

made another Milkshape 3D Video Tutorial focused using the Texture Coordinate Editor in order to combine/consolidate textures.
                i also go over some material/texture assigning basics.
                the video describes a manual method of consolidating textures
                as well as an automatic method near the end of the video.
                utilize the time links in the video description to skip around the video

Comment

It is possible to convert an UT3 (or other) skeleton into UT2004? It would be an easier way for me.

Comment

Will someone post a link to a trustworthy milkshape download please?

Comment

Here you go: Milkshape3D Download Page

Comment

Does anyone know how to successfully export with Umodel? I'm exporting HumanMaleA as seen in the video, but I'm not getting a new folder.....

Comment

I can send the psk and psa files if you want, although using command prompt is the way I do it.
                          There is a tutorial on INI's site.
                          http://www.unreal.shaungoeppinger.co...neeranims.html

Comment

Originally posted by Parkis G View Post
                            I can send the psk and psa files if you want, although using command prompt is the way I do it.
                            There is a tutorial on INI's site.
                            http://www.unreal.shaungoeppinger.co...neeranims.html
                            It's ok. unrealloco sent me a link to download the files. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X