Just a bit of advice needed on skyboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a bit of advice needed on skyboxes

Hey all! I'm just getting (back) into UnrealEd, and things are coming nicely, I'm getting the hang of movers, I've got a fairly good handle on architecture, how to create it etc. etc. I'm a fan of huuuge epic looking sky boxes, but they're giving me a little bit of trouble. I can get them to work no probs, but getting them to look as seamless as in the game itself, is another matter. What general advice would you give when creating sky boxes? Should they be boxes at all? How do you creat seemingly endless cloudy skies without being able to see the corner of the cube?! (this is evident when making skyboxes that are taller than they are wide). Also, as a side question, does a sunlight actor in the sky box cast light onto any areas with ceilings/walls/floors set to fake backdrop?

Cheers in advance

- Paul

I rarely ever use a box for my sky box but it depends on what you are trying to do. If you're try to make a rotating backdrop with asteroids and planets (like in Face) then a box would be the best way. For panning skies and basically everythign else, I use a cone with 8 or 10 sides and I scale it down vertically so that it looks almost like a flattened triangle.

Putting a sunlight actor in your skybox will cast shadows on everything except those areas marked as fake backdrop. Anything checked fake backdrop will display the sky box.

Comment

Cool, cheers. I had a little experiment, coming along nicely. Only other thing, and I wonder if anyone else has this problem, is that when using textures from the SkyRenders package and assigning them to, say, the walls of a cube, you can see a teeny tiny little seam around the edges where the faces meet :-\ what's causing that dya think? It's really quite annoying!

Comment

It's just the engine blending a bit of the texture from the next pixels. When I make a skybox like that I usually go down one pixel for each side, so instead of 256x256, I make it 254x254.

Comment

Working...
        X