The Longest Snow Day - Treehouse Turret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Great concept! Just last week I was looking for a non-violent game like UT. This looks perfect.

I'm the father of 1 and 3 year-olds, uncle to 4 and 7 year-olds and of course know lots of other parents with kids of various ages. I was looking for a game as good as UT but non-violent. I was also looking for a way to get "into" programming for kids (say 13 years old).

The 13-year old wants to be a game developer. Right now he just plays console games and doesn't really have any way to get his feet wet actually programming for those game. UED seems better than anything else because it is free (with the game) and powerful enough to do fun stuff. However, the game premise in UT ~ UT2k4 probably isn't age appropriate.

Your game (mod) looks like it is non-violent enough for "Everyone" to play. Perhaps as a follow-on you could release a tutorial with textures and meshes so older kids could make their own maps?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Pezman

5) No clubhouse is complete without a sign! Have something cute, mispelled or backwards letters. "No girls allowed!" or something to that affect.
    Actually, since we'll be including girls as playable characters I think that we'll have something like "no n00bz alowd" or something like that. And concerning ice falling and such, we thought that having every static-mesh be able to loose some of it's snow when it's collided with (i.e. parked cars, fences, mailboxes, etc.) I'll make sure that that happens to ensure a more complete feeling of immersion in our little cartoony world

Thanks for the C&C on my team's work Pezman.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MattRyan
    Actually we're not kids, but thanks for making us feel young. Everyone on my team (with one exception) works all day and mods at night. I think that the youngest on our team is 24 yrs old and I'm almost 26.
    Hey Matt, I know I'm wise for my age, but the answer is 23 yrs

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MattRyan
    Actually we're not kids, but thanks for making us feel young. Everyone on my team (with one exception) works all day and mods at night. I think that the youngest on our team is 24 yrs old and I'm almost 26.
    lol.....ok I am not sure if that makes me feel better or worse....I think I would be alright if I could find a group that really had the mind to put in the time, unfortunately most of the guys I know who have any talent can't be bothered to make the sacrafice of time to create somethin as large scale as this.....

But I do say again great work guys, I hope to see the mod out there for download soon, and if you ever need a helping hand with anything.......

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I love this..I cant wait for it to come mout...I will host it on my server. And if you seen what he said...you will go to the base of the tree and hit "use" and you will be in the tree house behind the baseball pitcher....I do like your ideas tho..would be better to be more involved with the trees/tree houses

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Quality Concept!

My feedback:

1) I would add a few iceicles to the edges of the roof.
    2) It would be a plus if the iceicles would fall if hit, make the map seem much more immersive.
    3) I would ensure that your branches / fence allow for the player to jump up onto the roof/top of tree. This would make for an easy learning curve so that more advanced players can really dominate if they use the mesh to their advantage.
    4) Ladders are always a bottleneck to gameplay, as you sacrifice being able to shoot while climbing. To counter act this I would suggest adding a few "boards" to the tree trunk so a player can "climb" up the back of the tree and get into the turret, it would provide for easier access from either side and add to the element of surprise if you were firing the turret and someone snuck up on you from behind!
    5) No clubhouse is complete without a sign! Have something cute, mispelled or backwards letters. "No girls allowed!" or something to that affect.

Overall I like what you have here and hope to see the mod entered into the Make Something Unreal Contest.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Prophet1969
    Very impressive guys, it makes me a bit envious to tell you the truth. I wish computers had been where they are now when I was in highschool, unfortunately they weren't! I look around the forum and see some of the things being designed etc. and I have to say there are alot of you that will go places.......dman kids

I do have the same kind of feelings towards kids now-a-days who can get a really early start in game dev. with really great robust tools like UnrealEd from the comfort of their own homes.

Hey, if you wanna be in the pro. industry, you make the time to do these kinds of things.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Very impressive guys, it makes me a bit envious to tell you the truth. I wish computers had been where they are now when I was in highschool, unfortunately they weren't! I look around the forum and see some of the things being designed etc. and I have to say there are alot of you that will go places.......dman kids

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by treestuffer
    It looks nice. Does that ladder thing act as a ladder, or as a staircase?

Also why is it called treehouse turret? There are no turrets.
    We're designing the treehouses to be like the turrets in UT2k4. Up in the treehouse will be a baseball pitcher machine that has its hopper filled with snowballs. The character walks up to the base of the treehouse, clicks use, and is in the treehouse, behind a snowball-pitcher These will be placed at key points throughout our maps that have the new gametype that we are currently working on

Now that the contest has been extended and UT2k4 tools are out, we hope to have a working beta for folks to play with around May 1.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How do you add the snow effect?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It looks nice. Does that ladder thing act as a ladder, or as a staircase?

Also why is it called treehouse turret? There are no turrets.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    an ingame screenshot from the soon to be release beta Gun is being replaced by a snowball and hand.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thursday 4pm update

added and enhanced:
    foot prints in the snow
    snow is covering the top
    desaturated the wood to seem worn and old
    added some snow to the bottom of the tree
    finished texturing the house, inside and out.

things to change after beta is released:
    Ice needs big overhaul, many have commented on it, and i too am still not happy with it.
    some other misc stuff, that other artists will see, that i don't

crits are always welcome , i appreciate the feedback everyone gives me, helps me to be a better modeler.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    GDC crunch time update - Been working like a madman, for our beta release in a few days. Ive been working on the house texture, found some new way to make wood texture, so im implementing it into the old wood areas. , also my teammate Bryan Silva suggested i make the texture more weathered, like a greyish color, so i'll add that last. anyways, here's a new update. let me know what you think

Leave a comment:

• replied
    have a small update on the tree with texture, pls let me know what you think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X