The Longest Snow Day - Treehouse Turret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Longest Snow Day - Treehouse Turret

This is my first post on the atari forums, so go easy on me .

Im working on a new mod, thats in production. Its called The Longest Snow Day. Its snow ball fighting!

anyways, Im the static mesh modeler, and I wanted to post a model im working on for the turret mesh which is a Treehouse!

concept by Jerry carr

wireframe and shade view

early iceicles

Iceicles tests

we are looking at an april 14th demo release, to get some feedback. and we'll be showing our beta at GDC. So at the moment we're all in crunch time, but I wanted to get some feedback from everyone on the model im creating.

Looks very cool! I love creative stuff

just a hint incase you didn't know after your done with the original either reduce the poly count on that mesh or build a new one with similar shape but less poly for collision as dead people tend to fall thru meshes. or in your case Frozen peeps.

Comment

Original concept :up:

Comment

dead people tend to fall thru meshes!

hahaha, hopefully the level designer knows that . I'll have to let him know.

Comment

Originally posted by Toothless
          Looks very cool! I love creative stuff

just a hint incase you didn't know after your done with the original either reduce the poly count on that mesh or build a new one with similar shape but less poly for collision as dead people tend to fall thru meshes. or in your case Frozen peeps.
          Not if you set "Simple Karma Collision" to false.

Comment

Saturday evening update, we have a team meeting at 10pm, so ive been working on this all day. I changed the logs, and made them into planks of wood like in the concept. and now the iceicles are geometry, made up of 5 sided cones, that were merged. its still under under 2500 for the house.

I like the mesh iceicles better than the texture ones.

Comment

have a small update on the tree with texture, pls let me know what you think.

Comment

GDC crunch time update - Been working like a madman, for our beta release in a few days. Ive been working on the house texture, found some new way to make wood texture, so im implementing it into the old wood areas. , also my teammate Bryan Silva suggested i make the texture more weathered, like a greyish color, so i'll add that last. anyways, here's a new update. let me know what you think

Comment

Thursday 4pm update

added and enhanced:
                  foot prints in the snow
                  snow is covering the top
                  desaturated the wood to seem worn and old
                  added some snow to the bottom of the tree
                  finished texturing the house, inside and out.

things to change after beta is released:
                  Ice needs big overhaul, many have commented on it, and i too am still not happy with it.
                  some other misc stuff, that other artists will see, that i don't

crits are always welcome , i appreciate the feedback everyone gives me, helps me to be a better modeler.

Comment

an ingame screenshot from the soon to be release beta Gun is being replaced by a snowball and hand.

Comment

It looks nice. Does that ladder thing act as a ladder, or as a staircase?

Also why is it called treehouse turret? There are no turrets.

Comment

How do you add the snow effect?

Comment

Originally posted by treestuffer
                          It looks nice. Does that ladder thing act as a ladder, or as a staircase?

Also why is it called treehouse turret? There are no turrets.
                          We're designing the treehouses to be like the turrets in UT2k4. Up in the treehouse will be a baseball pitcher machine that has its hopper filled with snowballs. The character walks up to the base of the treehouse, clicks use, and is in the treehouse, behind a snowball-pitcher These will be placed at key points throughout our maps that have the new gametype that we are currently working on

Now that the contest has been extended and UT2k4 tools are out, we hope to have a working beta for folks to play with around May 1.

Comment

Very impressive guys, it makes me a bit envious to tell you the truth. I wish computers had been where they are now when I was in highschool, unfortunately they weren't! I look around the forum and see some of the things being designed etc. and I have to say there are alot of you that will go places.......dman kids

Comment

Originally posted by Prophet1969
                              Very impressive guys, it makes me a bit envious to tell you the truth. I wish computers had been where they are now when I was in highschool, unfortunately they weren't! I look around the forum and see some of the things being designed etc. and I have to say there are alot of you that will go places.......dman kids
                              Actually we're not kids, but thanks for making us feel young. Everyone on my team (with one exception) works all day and mods at night. I think that the youngest on our team is 24 yrs old and I'm almost 26.

I do have the same kind of feelings towards kids now-a-days who can get a really early start in game dev. with really great robust tools like UnrealEd from the comfort of their own homes.

Hey, if you wanna be in the pro. industry, you make the time to do these kinds of things.

Comment

Working...
                              X