Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by raycnyit View Post
    thanks, but if you can find me a map with the elevator and elevator shaft designed already, that would help. i'm guessing i'd use an additive brush for both the shaft and the elevator? but then, i'll need to subtract some space from the shaft to make room for the elevator?
    Yep, looking at other maps as jefe says is definitely great advice, other maps are tutorials in themselves.

This may also help you: In the Editor you're working with BSP (binary space partition). The UT2004 3d Editor window views solid binary space. So to make a room in the Editor you must Subtract (makes a yellow line in your 2d windows). Then within the subtracted space you Add (makes blue lines), stuff like stairs, walls etc. And you can subtract windows and doors from stuff you've Added. Or you can build them all solid. I'm not sure which method a coder of UT would ultimately recommend.

BSP (yellow and blue lines) are touchy. And making them anything except square or oblong can often cause problems.

Beyond BSP is static meshes. In the 2d areas they are often messes of light green lines... like meshes. Those you can move around without a grid, and rotate, stretch with little or no problem. StaticMeshes are a pleasure place, totally unlike BSP.

So and try think that BSP added or subtracted using the red brush should only be used for basic level design. To fancy up your level, use staticmeshes. So your elevator should preferably be a static mesh. (if it's to be a Mover, then definitely yes).

Open a UT map and press 'W' the meshes will disappear and you'll see only BSP.

So personally I think of mapping as two processes. The BSP, basic boxes and stuff is 1. Fancying up the level with static meshes 2. Then of course optimization, but that's another story.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks, but if you can find me a map with the elevator and elevator shaft designed already, that would help. i'm guessing i'd use an additive brush for both the shaft and the elevator? but then, i'll need to subtract some space from the shaft to make room for the elevator?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Raycnyit, have you tried opening other maps to see how they're designed? You should be able to figure out your dimensions (and the answers to a lot of your other questions) by looking at a few. It seems you're trying to make a realistic map. If you don't have any of those, download a few.

http://www.google.com/search?&q=+sit...&start=0&uss=1

Remember that things in unreal don't necessarily work the same as in the real world, making your mover either the same size as the shaft or very slightly smaller will suffice.

As for textures, I'd look in humanoid architecture and the various city packages; this site gives a good overview of what the stock texture packages contain.

As it happens getting movers to work can be pretty tricky, especially with bots. The best tutorial I've found went offline a while back, but the wayback machine has it.

http://web.archive.org/web/200902051...ials/bots.html

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Elevator

Elevator

been having trouble figuring out how to design an elevator and elevator shaft in unreal editor 2004.

Not even sure how to go about designing it? like how much bigger is the elevator shaft than the elevator itself since the elevator shaft is supposed to hold the elevator?

and what texture packages built into ut2004 have something i can use for these?

if you have any recommended size dimensions, please let me know, thanks. it will be on the small size, up to 512 i guess?
Working...
X