Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can too many skins/models hurt the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can too many skins/models hurt the game?

Can having too many custom character skins and models hurt the way UT2003 runs? I have an insane number of custom skins (hint: it's more than twice the number of characters the game came with) thanks to my clan's love of testing skins.
    I've had no problems yet, I'm just curious.

no...unless the models and skins themselves aren't optimized well...a 2000 poly character included with ut2k3 will run exactly the same as a 2000 poly custom character...

Comment

There is no such thing as Too many of anything...

beer....
      fast cars...
      skins/models...

welll ok... there can be too many of some things...
      cops...
      lawyers...
      raptor campers...

Comment

Re: Can too many skins/models hurt the game?

Originally posted by Last-Words
        Can having too many custom character skins and models hurt the way UT2003 runs?
        No, because the game only loads the mesh and textures of the ones which are in use.

Of course if you want the best possible performance, you can choose to tick the "Force Default Model" option.

I for one prefer to be able to recognize the players by their skins.
        Useful to be able to spot the best player in the server and avoid direct confrontation

Comment

i have to agree with Loric.... when i play i always aim to kill the best players... becuase they're trying to do the same to my... and skin recognition is the only way to do that

Comment

I've had a few performance problems when i add new player models, this includes the karma data. UT2003 then takes a bit longer to load and playing the game is slower, i deleted the ones i really didn't want and everything was fine.

But then again it could have been my older system, it could run ut2003 no probs but with everything else added it probably bogged it down.

MsM:up:

Comment

It will slow down the loading of the game a bit. Look in your log and you'll see that the game looks at every single mutator and character you have installed.

Comment

Working...
              X