distance fog and the background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

distance fog and the background

Can i make it so that (in an outside area) the background can always be seen through the fog?

I maybe did something wrong, but I just get a black hole when the surface is too far away.
    Isn't it supposed to be solid fog?

thanks

It will be in game. It will show up as a black hole in the editor unless you hit Show Backdrop (keyboard shortcut: K).

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
      It will be in game. It will show up as a black hole in the editor unless you hit Show Backdrop (keyboard shortcut: K).
      How about, ingame, you cannot see the meshes after a certain viewdistance, only the backdrop? Is there a way to make it see beyond the current viewdistance, or are we limited to a certain space and anything beyond, except terrain, fog and backdrop, will disapair?

Comment

Re: distance fog and the background

Originally posted by Chris IX
        Can i make it so that (in an outside area) the background can always be seen through the fog?

I maybe did something wrong, but I just get a black hole when the surface is too far away.
        Isn't it supposed to be solid fog?

thanks
        are you using a skybox

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
          Are you positive about this? I've been dealing with this issue a lot, and my only conclusion was to make sure the DistanceFogEnd was farther larger than any possible distance the player might look from one point to the other in a subtracted area.

Someone told me the only way around it was to make a skybox that had a texture on its surfaces that was exactly the same color as the fog color you're using. This seems to be convoluted if you want to have a normal skybox as well.

But other than that, even when I was in game, those ugly holes were showing up when I had the fog distance too short.

Comment

If you open up IceFields for example, in the editor you'll see the black holes at far distances, but it works in-game.

Comment

strange... i did a map with distance fog as well and it was about... 16384³ and i had this nasty holes as well... also ingame. I don't know why but... it looks **** bad. (I had no skybox...)

Comment

Originally posted by ThanadoS
                (I had no skybox...)
                That's why.

Comment

yes, using a skyzone,
                  the backdrop now shows permanently in the background while playing, but the cliffs fade out to reveal backdrop behind them

I have basically an area surrounded on all sides by cliffs, with a white fog. AT the moment the sky is a starry black one. When the terrain is beyond the fog, it disappears leaving a pure, unfogged, black sky.
                  aaaah

can't I just have a sky poking through the fog above my head, but a pure fog where the terrain has disappeared?

Comment

use fog in your skybox

Comment

can anyone link to a good skybox tutorial? plz^^

Comment

wow, if only I'd thought of that.
                        Do I have to scale down the fog in my skybox?

edit: nvm that, I'll just figure it out...

thanks

Comment

wait, would it be best to only have fog in the skybox?

Comment

No. Use the fog in both zones (skybox and main map area). AFAIK, it doesn't affect fps so there shouldn't be a problem. If you're not sure you want to do that, use a fog ring (static mesh with a fog like texture applied).

Comment

Working...
                            X