scale and snap to grid in max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scale and snap to grid in max

i have made my static meshes outside of max in another 3d prog, these are not scaled to unreals grid

i have imported them to max, i have altered my grid and units so that they are the same as UED, problem is scaling, i want to scale the mesh so that its sides snap to the grid in max. when i scale it does not scale and snap to the grid, it scales but does not snap with the objects edge right to my grid in max. how do i make it do this.
    also is there a way to move the pivot to one the the models vertice.

as far as my knowledge there is no way to do what you want to do, you would have to simply scale it, just a few helpfull hints,

try right clicking on the scale button, and then you can put in the actual percentage you want your mesh to scale, if its uniform scale it'll do it in all directions, if you change it you an choose how much to scale in all 3 axis's,. just a little tip...

Comment

There's a magnet looking button at the top of Max that's used for snapping, you can right click on it to select what it snaps to.

If by the pivot you mean the place where it pivots in UEd, that is always the origin.

If you mean the pivot as in pivoting it in Max, under one of the top tabs on the right in Max is a Affect Pivot Only button, click that and you can move the pivot to wherever you want.

Comment

Thanks for those tips .
        i changed magnet to 3d it worked better.

i have way loads of SM to rescale , i figured a quick way would be if i could manually set the SM scale .

MAX---for example is the shape covered 53x53 , if i reset it some way to 64x64 it would be perfectly scaled, perhaps it might be an option if it was viewed as a bounding box and that was scaled to correct size, hmm my description sounds odd, ill try again, say i modelled a man, top of his head to bottom of his feet is say 61 and from his widest point say his shoulders is 26, if he was represented as a box or measurements where taken from the widest points top to bottom, left to right, he would be 61x26, he would not align to the grid, but if he was 64x32 he would, so could i key in his scale some way as 64x32 and he fits perfectly.
        can this be done ? I hope so as i have into 3 figures of SM to rescale to fit UED.

Comment

btw static meshes don't have to be scaled perfectly unless it's something that absolutely has to snap in place. Look at most of the Epic meshes to see what I mean, they're all over the place. :bulb:

Comment

Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
            btw static meshes don't have to be scaled perfectly unless it's something that absolutely has to snap in place. Look at most of the Epic meshes to see what I mean, they're all over the place. :bulb:
            that's true, but they have to be if objects are aligned to a wall or to each other, plus it would make it nice and quick if i could just number key in its scale. it would be quicker than scaling and snapping.

Comment

ok, you know the scale button? right click on it, you can manually put in the scale you want,

Comment

i now can see that you can key in the models scale by hand, but is there a way so that rather than scale the numbers by hand one can change the model say in properties, like click properties and key in dimensions x,y,z . if one knows one square = such a number one could key in the dimensions. I know you can create a box in max and then alter its size by keying in its dimensions , surely i can make a model in another prog, import it to max and key in its size to match the grid, as now i have to zoom in and right click scale and key in till it i see by eye that it sits flush to the grid.

i notice i can right click on an object select properties ans its dimensions are listed, but you cannot change its dimesions , if you could that would be great.

any way of doing this type of operation some way.

Comment

sorry, I have no knowledge of how to do that, : / you know you can click with left mouse button and drag down on the scale button for diffrent methods of scaleing and then rightclick on it again, it will give you diffrent ways you can scale with units,

Comment

Working...
                  X