Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Static mesh does not accept lightning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static mesh does not accept lightning

I've got a static mesh that refuses to be lit. It has the same lightning all over. It's the actual mesh, no matter where I place it, after rebuild, it just looks unlit. Not totally black, just unlit.

properties > lighting > special lit > false

if thats not it, delete the mesh and re-add it.

or it could be properties > display > unlit > false

Comment

It happens every time I use the static mesh, and I haven't set it to unlit

Comment

is the texture on the mesh self illuminating? as in, a shader with a texture in the "self illumination" slot.

Comment

Nope, just a normal every day texture.

Comment

Not using ambient lighting for the level are you ?

Comment

A little, but there is a sunlight actor and loads of other lights aswell so it's never ONLY lit by the ambient light. If it is (I've got it placed twice) - they somehow both times managed to evade the light. They're bins, so they are placed in corners. One quite remote, but the other is in a small room that is lit by 4 lights.

Comment

meshes dont like ambient lighting. dont use ambient lighting, it sucks. learn how to do good lighting, and avoid ambient like the plague.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehed316
                  meshes dont like ambient lighting. dont use ambient lighting, it sucks. learn how to do good lighting, and avoid ambient like the plague.
                  Agreed

Comment

Ambient lightning is vital IMO, it's very little, but enough to prevent totally black spots. O

Comment

ambient lighting is weak. if you dont want dark spots, use dim lights with high radii. no map that ships with the game has ambient lighting. and your static meshes are screwing up because of it.

if your sunlights are giving you black spots, try using two of them. one facing one way with a brightness of, say, 96, and the other facing the other way with a brightness of, say 22. this will brighten up the dark spots, but not cast any shadows. by adjusting the angle and color of each light, you can get some nice looking light in the area.

there is simply no excuse for ambient lighting except laziness.

Comment

Working...
                      X