Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Solid Brushes

Hello

I am making a map and i am currently building a part which is gonna be seen but a player will never reach/touch. Due to the complications and controindications that Semi Solid brushes have, i was thinking to make everything with Non Solid BSP.

This part is going to be rather complex, it'll have brushes of various shape intersecting each other but as i said, no player will get there. Since Solid would cause an insane amout of cuts, and Semi Solid cant intersect each other, Non solid seemed a good solution.

I was asking myself if Non Solid brushes got some controindications like Semi Solid ones such as:

Can Non Solid brushes touch/intersect each other?
    Can Non Solid touch/intersect Semi Solid?
    Other stuff to avoid with them in general?

Thanks in advance x)

Well, from what I observed it's possible to have ZonePortals intersecting each other without any problems (I think they should end directly on each other), so there should be no problems. Intersecting with semi-solids should be avoided, as far as I noticed it causes some issues.

Comment

Personally I've never used non-solid brushes in any serious way. I remember at one point in UT turning my light fixtures into non-solid brushes and ended up getting some crashes until I turned them back into semi-solids. That pretty much discouraged me from ever experimenting with them and I've never really seen a good tutorial for using them aside from as zone portals.

I would definitely think about turning this element into a static mesh if feasible, but that's just me.

Comment

Thanks for answering.

Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
        Well, from what I observed it's possible to have ZonePortals intersecting each other without any problems (I think they should end directly on each other), so there should be no problems. Intersecting with semi-solids should be avoided, as far as I noticed it causes some issues.
        Good to know x)

Originally posted by Wail of Suicide View Post
        I would definitely think about turning this element into a static mesh if feasible, but that's just me.
        Ok, will consider this option if the file size wont be too big, many custom stuff already x)

Comment

I got the UltimateDestructibleEnvironment working btw. (Wormbo gave me the hint that I forgot to set bStatic to False -.-)
          Now you just need to barricade meshes. And maybe a Shaped Charge or Redeemer, whatever you prefer to use for detonating it.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
            I got the UltimateDestructibleEnvironment working btw. (Wormbo gave me the hint that I forgot to set bStatic to False -.-)
            Now you just need to barricade meshes. And maybe a Shaped Charge or Redeemer, whatever you prefer to use for detonating it.
            ehm? You mean making them destroyables? Might be interesting although i dunno how, but in this case not even projectiles can reach 'em

Comment

Screenshot to better analyze?

Comment

Here it is m8

[SHOT]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7945/immaginejjd.jpg[/SHOT]

All these pipes are non solid, visible only from the grate below, which also prevent any projectiles to touch 'em. (Its not finished yet).

There seem to be no problems till now but who knows.. x)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkemule View Post
                  ehm? You mean making them destroyables? Might be interesting although i dunno how, but in this case not even projectiles can reach 'em
                  I was talking about the destroyable barricades with ramps on the street just like in UT3. I don't want to destroy the background environment.

Comment

Yes, use non-solids for that. The only problem that could rise from them is if it goes through a zone portal.

Comment

Working...
                    X