One large texture or more smaller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One large texture or more smaller?

Hi i have question about performance gain, i like to know if someone tried or tested if is better use one larger texture (1024x1024) for more meshes which will be placed all around or use more separated textures but smaller (256x256) for each mesh.

Hi!
    I guess a 1024x1024 would be better in this case (idk if this would affect performance but it would decrease the loading time I think) since the engine has only to load one texture instead of 3 or 4.

Comment

That's a highly philosophical matter. You have to think about who and when is going to use your meshes. If you're going to reuse your meshes and will want to change the textures at some point, by all means make them separate. It's better to have a few different textures than to create a new mesh map. However, if you're not going to change the texture or you won't be reusing the mesh, then create a mesh map. The size of the texture doesn't matter - in fact, it's variable depending on your settings, but four materials on a single mesh makes the graphics card render the mesh 4 times. Then again, these days people have a plenty of graphics power.

Comment

Working...
      X