Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to MAKE a ut2004 character in Blender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to MAKE a ut2004 character in Blender?

EDIT 2: I am now trying to make a model from scratch using several different programs, mostly Blender.

I am trying to make:

You'd be better off starting from scratch. The shapes for what you desire are'nt super complicated. My vote is re-model the body and maybe try to use that head. That's the hard part (the head). I don't know anything about Blender spefically, but what I said is more than liklely less work overall, for a cleaner end result.

Comment

Biggest problem with starting from scratch might be that you need to rig your model according to the UT-specifications and probably also to create every animation again. (Or not?)

Comment

I think you can download a skeleton for that part. I remember seein it or hearing it on www.3dbuzz.com a few years ago. I think most custom UT2004 models use this "generic" skeleton. I've just never uesd it myself cause I've never done a custom character. I think this is the way it works.....IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by FewPosts View Post
          You'd be better off starting from scratch. The shapes for what you desire are'nt super complicated. My vote is re-model the body and maybe try to use that head. That's the hard part (the head). I don't know anything about Blender spefically, but what I said is more than liklely less work overall, for a cleaner end result.
          I actually though the head was the second worst part and probably needing the most modifications on the current one, looks pretty good from the front, but the UV/shape on the back/ears are CLEARLY not designed for this purpose.

Chances are I'll end up re-doing the whole thing from scratch, but as with mapping, I'll try an edit of something already existing first to become familiar with the program, then move on to actually remaking it all.
          Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
          Biggest problem with starting from scratch might be that you need to rig your model according to the UT-specifications and probably also to create every animation again. (Or not?)
          I'll probably end up doing every animation again later once I've gotten a full re-make done and it looks good enough.

Originally posted by FewPosts View Post
          I think you can download a skeleton for that part. I remember seein it or hearing it on www.3dbuzz.com a few years ago. I think most custom UT2004 models use this "generic" skeleton. I've just never uesd it myself cause I've never done a custom character. I think this is the way it works.....IIRC
          I found a download somewhere on these forums (http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=688403), for 2k3 skeletons, but it was posted in a thread for 2k4 modeling, I hope they're the same thing.

Comment

Agreed, I just did'nt want to tell you to model a new head Hence the useage of the word 'maybe'.

Comment

With Sculptris should it be no problem to model any organic object from scratch, also heads.

Comment

Thats' cool ! Nice find

Comment

Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
                  With Sculptris should it be no problem to model any organic object from scratch, also heads.
                  I think I'll use this to make the actual mesh first, then import it into Blender for everything else.

One issue I'm seeing is how I am going to be able to make a .ukx file with the finished product? There's a plug-in you can get but that's for Maya which I don't have.

Another bump, hopefully minor, is how am I gonna make the bubble? It would need to be hollow on the inside, kind of like when you add a sphere in UED and then make a slightly smaller one in the same spot and subtract it, how do you make that in mesh terms?

Comment

UKX is the UnrealEd-internal package format to store Skeletal Meshes and animations. The meshes themselves are imported in the (also Unreal-specific) PSK format and the animations separately as PSA format.

And for that is an exporter available, though you will probably need Blender 2.5 Alpha for the script. But since I think Blender 2.49b is currently better for modeling (knowing the keybinds, etc.), you should do everything you need to do in that and then just open the file in 2.5 in the end when you are going to export it, since 2.5 can work with 2.49b-content without any problems, but not the other way around.

Comment

Working...
                    X