Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating new fire textures from scratch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating new fire textures from scratch?

I often have to import/recolour the fire textures from U1 to have any at all.

When I try to create my own I am unable to use the sliders, it is permanently blank and never ever works, even with a palette in place.

The ones from U1 cannot be edited, either, you can move the sliders but it does nothing. All I can do is change the palette/picture.

Wet/Ice/whatever textures are all the same.

Are these just not supported?

Did you make sure you imported it as Alpha?

Comment

Why not use the fire texures stock in UT2004? Surely they are more high resolution and more realistic?

Comment

Originally posted by FewPosts View Post
        Why not use the fire texures stock in UT2004? Surely they are more high resolution and more realistic?
        It appears he's trying to create/import the classic ones..

Comment

Well Photoshop should be able to open and import/export P8 textures. (IIRC UT99 used mostly P8) UT2004 can also use P8 format. What I would do is export the original texture from UT, then go into photoshop and verify there is an alpha channel for the texture. Then save it as a 32-bit TARGA file(.tga), and then it should import into UT2004 fine and have "transparency".

If you want to upload a sample texture, I'll do my best to help out and show you how to go about it.

( not sure if PS can open P8 directly for sure) WetTextures and FireTexures as I understand it will break levels etc anyhow and are broken, so that could also be the issue.

Comment

I know it best A whole map file is corrupt because of a fire texture

Comment

Originally posted by AeScarydark View Post
              It appears he's trying to create/import the classic ones..
              Yep. I don't know if I'm actually not supposed to even be able to have these kind of textures working in my editor at all, they seem to be barely supported, really the only reason I even noticed them is because I have the U1 to UT2K4 conversion by ..:.: which has entire .utx files full of these textures.

I often use them in conjunction with regular textures via combiners, or to supplement other textures (Alpha'd or no), produces much better effects than without, but sometimes I need something specific and the classic SFX don't have a pre-made close to what I want, and I can't make them from scratch or even alter an existing one...

Originally posted by FewPosts View Post
              Well Photoshop should be able to open and import/export P8 textures. (IIRC UT99 used mostly P8) UT2004 can also use P8 format. What I would do is export the original texture from UT, then go into photoshop and verify there is an alpha channel for the texture. Then save it as a 32-bit TARGA file(.tga), and then it should import into UT2004 fine and have "transparency".

If you want to upload a sample texture, I'll do my best to help out and show you how to go about it.

( not sure if PS can open P8 directly for sure) WetTextures and FireTexures as I understand it will break levels etc anyhow and are broken, so that could also be the issue.
              Mmm I don't have Photoshop, I have Paint Shop 7 which can open .bmp which is actually the type used by these effects, P8 is the compression for .bmp textures I think... Because I can never make them anything else.

But I don't need the "texture" or RAW PHOTO that goes into these special FX, I guess I should have been clearer:

What I want is the ... Whatever it's called, "texture modifier" you know like combiners/pan/rotate or w/e, but fire/water/ice ones instead, that contain the settings to produce the warping effects on textures/palettes.

I can sit and make new textures all day long for the current ones I got, let's say watertexture, but the ripples will never be any different, I wanted one that is just "raindrop ripples" effect but more feathered/subtle than the classic ones.

What would help is being able actually export the modifier straight off U1 like ..:.: obviously did, I have that game... Somewhere, I can just use that to make the settings.

Comment

Working...
              X