Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with terrain in UnrealEd 3.0 (Problem with weapon base solved)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with terrain in UnrealEd 3.0 (Problem with weapon base solved)

Recently I started making a map for Unreal Tournament 2004 using UnrealEd 3.0.
    So far everything works fine, but when I place a weapon base anywhere on the map it does not show up when playing it.

What I do is this: I open up the Actor Browser, expand "xPickUpBase" and select "xWeaponBase". I then right-click where I want to place the weapon base, and select "Add xWeaponBase here".
    Then I go to the properties of the weapon base, and select the desired weapon.

Everything seems fine, the weapon base shows up in the perspective viewport and there are no errors when building the map, or when checking the map for errors. But as soon as I play the map, the weapon bases are nowhere to be found.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to our community

Well, first of all, do you start your map from the editor via the play button next to the rebuild buttons?
    If yes, do you start with a Super Shock Rifle/Instagib Rifle?
    If yes, go under LevelProperties and set the gametype to xDeathMatch. That should work fine I think.

BTW if you use the xNewWeaponBase, take care of the weapon base bug. The wrong skin is on the weapon base. You have to go under the xNewWeaponBase properties and to delete all skins under Display. This way you get rid of the weapon base bug.

Comment

Yay!

Sly,

Thanks for your reply.
      I have set the gametype to DeathMatch in the LevelProperties. (It was set to Last Man Standing)
      It is working now .

There is however another problem when editing terrain. When I select a certain tool UnrealEd crashes. Do I have to start a new thread, or can I post it under this one?

Thanks again!

Comment

Of course It is your thread. BTW you can always change the name of the thread if you've started it.

To your problem: Can you copy and paste the error message here? That might help us

Comment

Terrain editor crashes UnrealEd

When I open the Terrain Editor, and click the "Select" tool, UnrealEd crashes and I get the message below:

Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 1793 MHz with 1406MB RAM
          Video: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series (6925)

General protection fault!

History: DrawSegmentedLine <- DrawRectOnTerrain <- ATerrainInfo::Render <- RenderLevel <- myLevel.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UUnrealEdEngine:raw <- (Cam=U2Viewport2,Flags=871270089 <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UEditorEngine::RedrawLevel <- UEditorEngine::Exec_Terrain <- UEditorEngine::Exec <- (TERRAIN BRUSH SELECT) <- UUnrealEdEngine::Exec <- WListBox::InterceptControlCommand <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- WWindow::WndProc <- WWindow::StaticProc <- MessagePump <- MainLoop

I have noticed that if I click the "Select" tool in the Terrain Editor when there is no terrain in my map, UnrealEd does not crash. I hope this helps somehow.

PS., how can I change the name of a thread I started?

Comment

You can change the title of the thread by editing the first post in the advanced options.

For the terrain i wouldnt know, what are the size? 256x256?

Comment

I've read that the maximum of the size you should use for your terrain map should be 512x512 (not sure if this is true). If you're above this limit it could cause these crashes.
              If you have a terrainmap with a size of 128x128 or 256x256 it looks okay and doesn't decrease the fps a lot.

But if you have a terrainmap of with a size below 512x512 I'll search a bit on the net. Maybe I'll find something that would be useful..
              *starts searching*

Comment

Terrain problem solved.

Because I haven't made any maps for a long time, I followed a step-by-step tutorial, which told me my terrain should be 4096x4096x4096. One of the tutorials from Epic Games even suggested I should create a terrain of 65536x65536x65536.

To see if it was indeed the size that was causing the problem, I created a small terrain of 256x256x256. When I clicked on the "Select" tool, UnrealEd did not crash.

I want to thank you guys for your responses. Now I can go back to creating maps.

Comment

Yet another question.

There is one last thing I'd like to ask.

I have read that one of the new game types introduced in Unreal Tournament 2004 is Vehicle CTF. When I set up a new game, whether online or not, Vehicle CTF is not in the list of available game types.

Does anybody know why this could be?
                  Thanks in advance.

Comment

Gametypes only show up in the list if there are maps for them.

Comment

(┬░-┬░)

I just checked, and it's true I don't have any Vehicle CTF maps installed. I assumed these would be included when installing the game.

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

About the terrain business

Terrain SIZE can be w/e you want it to be as far as I can tell. Terrain resolution is different.

You never want the terrain resolution to be over 256. In most cases your'e going to use a 128x128 terrain resolution (DM terrain based map). In smaller DM maps, 64x64 can work well, but look a little blocky. (like small terrain somewhere in the map) Typically the 256x256 terrain is for very large, ONS style maps with a lot of fog in them that optimizes the terrain. Usually if you use 128x128 you won't run into as many FPS issues. The 128 terrain may not provide the level of detail you need, it also may be just fine. Sometimes you have to live with blockier terrain than you'd like to.

DG Unreal released a brutal terrain tool for UT2004 where you could build your terrain as a high res terrain and then trim it down to a lower res without losing much detail at all. He also has some nice tutorials on his website about terrain. BY FAR THE BEST ON THE WEB. Google DG_Unreal.

Terrain mapping pro-tip:
                        Too many mappers forget to= collision>Surface type (on the terrain actor)

Love your name dude....BLAAAARRRRRGGG

Comment

About my terrain

For my terrain I subtracted a cube of 4096x4096x4096. The XSize and YSize for my terrain were both set to 64.
                          Under TerrainInfo┬╗TerrainScale the values for X and Y were set to 70, because there was a gap between the terrain and one of the sides of the cube that contains this terrain.

When I was trying to figure out what caused UnrealEd to crash, I subtracted a small cube of 256x256x256 for my terrain. I left the XSize and YSize at 64x64, and changed the TerrainScale values for X, Y and Z to 16,
                          resulting in a small cube, and a very large terrain poking out from the sides.
                          This time, when I opened up the Terrain Editing Tool, and clicked on the "Select" tool, UnrealEd did not crash.

I hope this helps somehow.

PS., this is the tutorial I used for terrain. When I follow these exact steps, and go to the Terrain Editing Tool, UnrealEd crashes when I click the "Select" tool.

Comment

Are you saving the heingtmaps etc to myLevel?

Comment

Yes, I save the terrain in the group Terrain in the myLevel package. The name of my terrain simply is HeightMap.

Comment

Working...
                              X