Pathnoding problem - Bots don't follow upstairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pathnoding problem - Bots don't follow upstairs

In the blue base there are two ways to go up to second or third floor, one stair and one lift.
    If I'm the red team and take the blue flag and go up to the second or third floor in their base, the blue bots don't follow me. In Wire mode I can see they are confused running around the flagbase on the first floor.
    But if I do a suicide and drop the flag the bots suddenly go up to the second/third floor and takes the flag back.
    If I'm the blue team and order my team to cover me standing on second/third floor they go up.

But about when I'm red team and blue bots don't follow me when standing up there, only if I drop the flag ...anyone know why?
    Maybe you have to see the map to give an answer...

Have you tried incorporating assault paths? They're quite effective.
    http://www.leveldesigner.com/index.p...=doc&ID=172#23

Bots are goofy. They'll take the path that they think is best.

Comment

Ok, have tried the assaultpath but it doesn't help, have no idea how to place them. Isn't assaultpath only for the ways through all entrances to the flagbase? I have two entrances but they both on first floor.

But also I checked other maps and it's the same in CTF-Orbital2: if I take the enemies flag and go up to a higher floor the bots just run around the floor below, but after suicide and flag dropped they use translator up...that can't be a real gameplay for those who likes to play against bots. Are EPIC awared of this problem?
      Can't remember it was like that in UT99?

Comment

I had a sorta same problem in one of the maps in my UT Classics map pack, CTF-Oblivion. There were 3 ways to get to the flag, but the bots would just only go down the centre corridor only, but when come to a another ruote, which had only two ways they would pick either way and go down any one. I tried using assault paths & forced paths but it made no difference, in the end i moved a few pathnodes about and made a biggr gap between a few path nodes and replaced them with assault paths. I then played the game and it made little difference, but when i changed the difficulty of the bot skill they went mad and went down all routes to the flag, my flag base came nearly impossible to defend wiht them coming from all routes and getting there flag was a real challenge. Just try the bots on a different difficulty setting and see what they do, at the end of the ay the bots will take the msot basic & simple route to there objective

If you want i can take a look at the map for you, P.M me and let me know.

MsM :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Yournan2000
          If you want i can take a look at the map for you, P.M me and let me know.
          Thanks, but my map has a much more complexed construction than CTF-Orbital2. You better try on CTF-Orbital2 to make enemies follow you upper floor and if you don't make it there I think there's no chance it will work on my map.

Comment

Originally posted by Salem78
            Thanks, but my map has a much more complexed construction than CTF-Orbital2. You better try on CTF-Orbital2 to make enemies follow you upper floor and if you don't make it there I think there's no chance it will work on my map.
            Deleted CTF-Orbital2, so theres no chance of me checking that out. Try adding some spawn points on the upper floor or try setting the bots difficulty higher up.

MsM:up:

Comment

Originally posted by Yournan2000
              Try adding some spawn points on the upper floor or try setting the bots difficulty higher up.
              Where can I find spawn points? I already have inhuman on bots...

Comment

One thing I noticed is that with the cover me order, bots will follow almost anywhere, even without paths.

Also, they seem to change attitudes when in combat, like veering off paths, which could explain why they follow you when you drop the flag, thus leaving combat mode.
                Supporting this theory, how many times have you ever seen a bot translocating after you to catch up when you run with the flag?
                My point is maybe they don't follow paths while an enemy is nearby.
                purely theoretical though...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris IX
                  One thing I noticed is that with the cover me order, bots will follow almost anywhere, even without paths.
                  So if you first go into a room whit no pathnodes and order them to cover you, they will find you in that room?

Anyway you are surely right about bots don't follow paths while an enemy is nearby...but I hope you are wrong cause I want the enemies to hunt me when I'm trying to leave their base by the roof.
                  EPIC should fix that in UT2004.

Comment

Originally posted by Salem78
                    So if you first go into a room whit no pathnodes and order them to cover you, they will find you in that room?

only if they're within sight, I think.

Not sure how you can fix it. Maybe make the elusive escape route more accessible.

Comment

Working...
                    X