UnrealED problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UnrealED problems

I am sorry if this has been asked a million times but I am using Windows ME and about every 30 minuets or so and a critical error will come up while I am using UnrealED and it kicks me out of the program, in order for me to go back into the program I have to resart my computer. Anybody know why?

Re: UnrealED problems

The answer to your question rests in the question itself, young grasshopper:

Originally posted by amidget
    Anybody know why?
    I am using Windows ME
    Okay, sarcasm aside... UED has issues with Me. Do you by any chance have access to Windows 2000 or Windows XP? If not, just make sure you have this patch... but I highly recommend XP.

[edit]

That first link goes to the Wiki at BeyondUnreal. It will become your friend. Also make sure you check out Epic's Tutorials and those that are listed at the top of this forum. The bad news is that every tutorial you find will ommit critical details from a given process, but luckily there are so many tuturials that in aggregate, they provide the whole picture. Welcome to the thrilling and frustrating road that is UnrealEd! Whenever I find myself getting frustrated, I remind myself that it's not just me .

Comment

The link to the patch doesn't work when i click on it, I know how to use UnrealED so far for what I want to do but it is going to take me forever to do it fi I have to restart my computer every 30 minuets. And if I had access to Windows XP I would have put it onto my computer as soon as possible!

Comment

The link to the patch doesn't work when i click on it, I know how to use UnrealED so far for what I want to do but it is going to take me forever to do it fi I have to restart my computer every 30 minuets. And if I had access to Windows XP I would have put it onto my computer as soon as possible!
        Well, then you'll have to search for that patch. I haven't had to run it since I'm on XP. I also don't know if the patches to the game contain the patch to UED... You're probably already on v2225, but if you're not, patch the game. I don't know if that will help, but it's a place to start.

Comment

Well actually I may have access to windows XP but does Windows XP Professional work just as good with games as Home Edition?

Comment

Well actually I may have access to windows XP but does Windows XP Professional work just as good with games as Home Edition?
            um why would they not? :bulb: it is 40 bucks more than home edition... I'm useing pro no problems afaik

Comment

Just wondering, because i don't want to waste my time installing pro to find out it doesn't work, thankyou.

Comment

It works fine. Do it. :up:

Comment

Yeah, install XP Pro now J00. I had win ME a while ago, and Ued still crashes even with the patch. I had exactly the same prob with the editor crashing every few mins, then having to reboot so it would load again. When i installed the patch it persisted, so i got XP off a friend. Oh and whats all this about wasting time on an XP install. hehe. Everyone has a few minutes spare now and then:P

Comment

lol you know I actually bought win xp pro just so I could work in the editor without those crases? jeez, it was worth it tho should have gotten it regardless I really like xp.

Comment

Absolutely. The differences between XP Home and XP Pro mainly lay in the networking abilities and components (Internet gameplay is unaffected by these differences).

I use XP Home and I've found it to be great for gaming. I've heard people say that 98SE is the best gaming OS, but I'd strongly disagree. I used to run my games on 98SE and 2000, and they worked well... but not nearly as stable as XP. Plus, 98SE can't utilize the amount of memory us freaks are putting in our machines these days.

As for Me, I can't say I've had one positive experience with it. I'm not knocking it or anything, but I've never been able to get it running smoothly... but it may just be me. I didn't give it much of a shot since I got my hands on it about the time I got XP Home, and after a few hours of frustration, I canned it for XP.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaGuy
                        As for Me, I can't say I've had one positive experience with it. I'm not knocking it or anything, but I've never been able to get it running smoothly... but it may just be me. I didn't give it much of a shot since I got my hands on it about the time I got XP Home, and after a few hours of frustration, I canned it for XP.
                        ME is weird; unlike any other MS operating system, it seems to get more stable the longer you have it installed. I have a laptop with ME which was guaranteed to blue-screen regularly when I first got it, but then settled down and spent a very long time being the most reliable Windows install I've ever used. It's gone flaky again recently, but that has more to do with hardware issues on the laptop - both the battery and hard disk seem to be on their way out.

Comment

ME is weird; unlike any other MS operating system, it seems to get more stable the longer you have it installed. I have a laptop with ME which was guaranteed to blue-screen regularly when I first got it, but then settled down and spent a very long time being the most reliable Windows install I've ever used. It's gone flaky again recently, but that has more to do with hardware issues on the laptop - both the battery and hard disk seem to be on their way out.
                          This blue screen used to happen to me, but that was because my videocard was not compatible with the motherboard because the motherboard was old, but I agree it does seem to get more stable the longer i've used it. But I still cannot stand it. Well thanx for your help guys, hopefully I will have XP installed on my computer by tommorow...

Comment

Working...
                          X