Water, Surface area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water, Surface area

Hi, im quite new to UnrealEd and i have a few questions regarding water.

To make a volume of water look good, must i have a separate surface area? Is it possible to instead add a volume and put the texture directly on the water itself?

The problem arises when i try to make round pillars of water using only quadratic surface areas. I either have to use VERY many, or skip the surface altogether... Any workarounds?

The visible water is usually a fluid surface actor.

Some maps use a lot of these effects, some even to pull off "water walls" check out the DOM-Atlantis map..

A work around off the top of my head might be to create an xProcMesh in the same shape as your water pillar.. . (CTF-BridgeOfFate has examples of these, the team banners that are dotted around)

Comment

Thanks, i'll try the xProcMesh. Although, i have no idea how to use it

Will the effect be the same as with surface areas?

*EDIT* I played around with it, to no avail.... It looks odd and does not move like water at all. I tried finding tutorials on using Xprocmesh but i found none. Could someone perhaps give me a few pointers?

Comment

Maybe i should just give up and make them square-shaped... :/ With enough movement they just might look roundish

Comment

Usually to make a round pools mappers make the edges a little higher, and then use square FuildSurfaces. Then they blend together and you only see a round pool.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Usually to make a round pools mappers make the edges a little higher, and then use square FuildSurfaces. Then they blend together and you only see a round pool.

Yeah, indeed. But that's not what im trying to make.

A pillar of water would need to be completely above ground, with fluid surfaces all around. But the problem is that these fluid surfaces can't be bent, so an xprocmesh has to be used - which does not, for me atleast, even come close to reproducing the feeling of a water surface. :/

Comment

Aah, I get it. Hmm. You don't get much choice then... In older Unreal series games fluid surfaces were just non-solid textured brushes, and there you could use any shape you wanted. In UT3 it's quite similar, but they use static meshes instead, while the fluid volume takes care of all other effects. So you might use an xProcMesh, a brush or a non-solid static mesh, but all of those don't have realistic wave simulation...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Aah, I get it. Hmm. You don't get much choice then... In older Unreal series games fluid surfaces were just non-solid textured brushes, and there you could use any shape you wanted. In UT3 it's quite similar, but they use static meshes instead, while the fluid volume takes care of all other effects. So you might use an xProcMesh, a brush or a non-solid static mesh, but all of those don't have realistic wave simulation...
                Hm, and that's the problem.. It's either Round and ugly, or square and wavy - but still ugly since it square...
                Couldn't you write a script to somehow tell the surface area to bend? I'm a complete noob when it comes to any kind of programming, but I'm sure someone here could tell me if this is possible in Unreal Ed.

Comment

Nope, not possible. Waves are simulated in quads - and a rectangle can't be formed into a circle...

Comment

Only xProcMeshes can be used if you want fluid waves on a surface that's not flat. Find or create a StaticMesh in the desired shape, make sure its surface has enough subdivisions so the fluid effect looks good, and use it as xProcMesh.

Comment

If your feeling brave you could even pull this off with a vertex animated mesh. This tutorial by Angel Mapper is all you need to know to do what you want.

Vertex Animated Meshes

but I'd personally try xProcMeshes first.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                        Only xProcMeshes can be used if you want fluid waves on a surface that's not flat. Find or create a StaticMesh in the desired shape, make sure its surface has enough subdivisions so the fluid effect looks good, and use it as xProcMesh.
                        I'll try that then. The ones I've made so far with an xProcMesh look really bad and won't move when i touch them, like a fluid surface does. But i don't know if they are even capable of doing that

Originally posted by INIQUITOUS View Post
                        If your feeling brave you could even pull this off with a vertex animated mesh. This tutorial by Angel Mapper is all you need to know to do what you want.

Vertex Animated Meshes

but I'd personally try xProcMeshes first.
                        That.. seems a bit complicated. Nevertheless, thanks

I tried using quadratic pillars, and they actually don't look THAT bad. I suppose i could post a screenshot later and show you for some feedback perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                        X