Player Start Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Player Start Issues

I'm currently making a level and ive had it working fine, it'll build and then play but when ive imported some more meshes or added some more lights ill get the message after building saying that the Player Start actors are unusable. From then on i can't add many more even if i delete the unusable one.

I've spent ages looking for a solution or what the cause to this could be but i've had no luck ;/ Can anybody help? Cheers

What happens when you attempt to add new playerstarts? What does your UnrealEd log say then (open it by pressing a window button at the bottom of UnrealEd)? Actor Doesn't Fit here or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      What happens when you attempt to add new playerstarts? What does your UnrealEd log say then (open it by pressing a window button at the bottom of UnrealEd)? Actor Doesn't Fit here or something else?
      Yeah it says that "Actor Doesn't Fit here". But it happens no matter where i try and place the Player Start

Comment

Try adding them on the ceiling and walls, then moving where they belong. This bug sometimes happen, even though player starts fit there. Also, make sure you have rebuilt the map and that there are no huge BSP holes that could render whole areas inaccessible. And try spawning in your map, if you die instantly in some areas, you have a BSP hole problem.

Comment

Check your grid size. Reduce it to at most 16 when placing navigation points, otherwise grid aligning may push the navpoint into geometry, causing the "doesn't fit" error.

Comment

I've tried adding them to ceiling and walls but i get the same error no matter where i place them. I've tried using a few different grid sizes and still nothing happens.

I rebuilt my level and made an insertbox incase this happened again, it did but it would let me create actors in the insertbox out of my main level, when i dragged them over though they would become unsable again :S

What do you mean by BSP holes?

Cheers

Comment

BSP holes are caused by bad placement of brushes or brushes themselves being too complex to render. That can result in Hall of Mirrors, when the engine doesn't render anything, but shows the last rendered frame instead; black colour instead of geometry; render everything correctly, but kill you if you touch it; kill you if you enter it; let you fall through and out of the world; bind you in place; render the geometry as unlit or partially lit. Look here for all causes and solutions:
              http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsbsp.htm

Comment

Thanks for that. I don't think thats what it is though, ive only used brushes myself to subtract the cube at the start to put my imported level into. Would be be a BSP issue thougb concidering it'll all work fine until a certain amount of stuff (actors, small meshes like cars, lorries) is added to the map and then it just locks down on any actors bar the lights being added :S

Comment

Working...
                X