Licensing costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Licensing costs?

Anyone have any idea what the licensing costs for the unreal engine is? Im debating starting a game product based off of unreal and Im just currious what I would ned to plan for. Doesnt have to be accurate, just ballpark. If there is any online info I would appreciate a link.

Basically Im thinking of turning the unreal engine to use for a persistent state online FPS. (like planetside but actually done correctly)

-- Kraythe

If I remember right its around $350,000 but if im wrong im sure someone will put me right.

Comment

One hundred meeeeellion dollars! [/Dr. Evil]

Na, what Fordy said.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordy
        If I remember right its around $350,000 but if im wrong im sure someone will put me right.
        Hmm .. that could be manageble ... anyway if I want to do It I need to get together a business plan and so on. It would so god awful fun though.

Comment

You're nuts And I salute you for having the balls to even think about licensing the engine, let alone actually go ahead and do it :haha:

Good luck :up:

Comment

Hey, crazy people rule.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber
              You're nuts And I salute you for having the balls to even think about licensing the engine, let alone actually go ahead and do it :haha:

If he can afford it, then whats the problem. I know if i could afford it id go ahead and liscence it:P.

Comment

UnrealEngine2 Technology Licensing Terms

The $350,000 USD price comes with a 3% royalty. For a flat fee, its &750,000 USD. Including the Dev cycle, server hardware, and bandwidth pricing, MOG's can be pretty expensive.

Comment

And we get to mess with it for free...........woot :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Comment

The license fee, comes with the source code, and a lot more personal help from the development. Also you can't make any money off the work you do with the editor unless you buy a license.

Comment

I have an idea..........

Let's all start a fund raise for a community owned license........each one of us sends in from $5-50 as many times you want. The person with more money sent owns a bigger part of the license...

Any other better ideas?

Comment

or you can just try and win the contest.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkSaber

Has nothing to do with balls. It has to do with basic concepts of project efficiency. I could have my developers create a completely new engine but then I would have to pay for that as well, merely by paying the developers. At the same time these guys wouldnt be working on other things. That or I can buy an engine, use it for the client and save myself 80K man hours. Buying is good planning.

As for the royalty, that is interestingl However I figure if I really want to do a MMOG right I need about 5 mil in venture capital anyway. Such an expenditure would be justified by the time it saves.

Comment

I'm curious; do you have any experience in the field, or any formal degrees in business management or planning? An idea is all well and good, but running a company that will produce a product as large as this is quite an endeavor.

I don't think the guys who founded Artifact entertainment and created Horizons were brand spankin' new and didn't have much experience in the field. But after years of being considered nothing but vaporware, they finally released their MOG. So they are kinda of a testament.

Comment

I have a masters degree in Psychology with a specialty in Human Machine Interfaces. Im a senior software engineer with 9 years of consulting experience. I have written a book published by oreilly and have worked in several different domains. No, Im not a 3d programmer but why should I wish to be; that is why you license the engine. Furthermore the processing on the server side has nothing do do with 3d programming.

In summary, Im more than qualified. But then Im not interviewing for a job with you ither. I was just collecting information. I dont know if I will do it or not but its possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X