Water volume NOT do damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water volume NOT do damage?

title gives the question away, id like to make a water zone, not do any damage, pain causing false, dam per sec = 0 are default. iv looked at the code for a water zone and not rly seen what causes the damage per sec after so long, unless its within the "waterzone=true" settings.

i think it may be possible by using a physics volume (or water as that inherits its settings) and change the gravity settings some how.. but that gave me more of a low grav setting then water feel...

is it possible?

thanks

Drowning damage is not a controllable type of damage. It simply happens when players are submerged for extended periods of time. The logic for this is not associated with the volume, but with the Pawn class, i.e. with the players.

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
      Drowning damage is not a controllable type of damage. It simply happens when players are submerged for extended periods of time. The logic for this is not associated with the volume, but with the Pawn class, i.e. with the players.
      that would be a no then as i dont have a custom pawn class ty see if i can find somthing different for there instead..

edit: ok it is possible, water zone is child of physics volume, which has neutral zone, so water zone gets it too, this isnt too good for some things as players cannot be damaged while in it, but for what i want its fine. works offline fine..

Comment

Couple suggestions (I've used #1 on past projects, but haven't yet tested #2)

1) Make the water volume only 8uu deep. You only want it so that a splash effect is displayed. Immediately below the water volume, place a non-pain - causing physics volume. Match the volume fog color/distance same as the water volume, and also set the physicsVolume's fluid friction and z-axis gravity values same as the water volume. Visually, players shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

2) Immediately after placing the water volume, set the builder brush SLIGHTLY smaller in x,y,z dimensions... and place a "matching" physics volume inside (essentially filling) the water volume. Edit the properties for this physics volume -- change the "Priority" property to some number higher than 1 (which would have been assigned to the water volume, by default, when it was created). The engine should recognize that the PV takes priority, even though it is fully encompassed by the water volume.

Comment

well iv played around with the settings and as i put in my last post, if you make a watervolume a neutral zone it wont do you damage. i did think of that idea but didn't know the settings to change, however after playing with several things iv discovered ANY zone will kill you in the end.. i think.. my map is a trials map, i had a water maze and also a low grav maze, if you are in either volume for too long it will kill you, which i guess is what wormbo meant. kinda hard to say how it kills you, in both volumes you glide further like setting the floor friction lower(or higher.. i forget which was how you do that xd), and you start to slow down and kinda stick to walls and suddenly die (dont think you even get a death message.. altho mine are turned off and cannot recall if i saw one in the console or not) but yeah your ideas should work, but a warning to anyone else who wants this, if you make the area too long it will kill you at some point

(btw the z-axis gravity is the same in both water and physics volume the only main diffrences besides fog and sounds are below)

Code:
               FluidFriction=2.400000
               bWaterVolume=True
               KExtraLinearDamping=2.500000
               KExtraAngularDamping=0.400000

Comment

CTF-CBP2-Deep has a "bubble" actor in it. It's a custom script to give you air underwater.

You might be able to contact the creator and put "air bubbles" in the map and do it that way. Another option is loading it up with health packs, and give the ability to surface for air, but not the abilit to escape the water. Like your caught in the middle of the atlantic, and all you can do is dive for more frags

Comment

Or in a temple that only has windows at the top. Quite a good idea, I should make something like that

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Or in a temple that only has windows at the top. Quite a good idea, I should make something like that
                IDEA THIEF.

JK

Comment

Not quite That idea was in my head long ago... And it's only for UT1 (don't get all those fancy UT2004 Antiportals and other stuff).

Comment

I was joking brotha.

Comment

I know, what else JK could mean? :P
                      Back to topic plz?

Comment

So, NightMan, where did you wind up with this?

What am I missing? sounds like all you need is a generic PhysicsVolume.

assign it whatever volume fog (color, distance) to match water
                        assign the FluidFriction (0.3?) to match water
                        assign a lower Z gravity value
                        and leave the other properties for the PV at their default values

Players would be able to remain within the volume indefinitely without suffering drowning damage. If the gravity value isn't sufficient to keep players from settling to the floor, you can edit the PV's ZoneVelocity.z to a value > 0
                        (ground friction rather than fluid friction applies to a pawn unless a force lifts the pawn off the floor)

CTF-CBP2-Deep has a "bubble" actor in it. It's a custom script to give you air underwater.
                        PipeTool, thanks!
                        That's awesome!!! a NONstatic volume class, HardAttach'ed to a mover...

Comment

Working...
                        X