Advanced Static Mesh Technique?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced Static Mesh Technique?

I have learned most of the basics for generating and importing static meshes using Maya PLE but I have yet to stumble across an explanation as to an efficient technique for achieving mesh alignment such as the CTF-Magma example pictured below. Please, will anyone share their knowledge on this subject? Thank you in advance!
    [screenshot]http://home.earthlink.net/~alaricgoth/images/meshquestion01.gif[/screenshot]

you could try this:

build the aligned meshes all in the same Maya PLE file, using snap to grid and/or snap to point to align the vertices at the joints. get all your pieces as you want them. make sure you freeze transformations (all of 'em). then select each piece separately in turn and move its pivot to the origin, or some other common point on the grid (use snap).

again select each mesh in turn and create a separate set for each per the usual process, and export each piece of the whole from Maya as a separate static mesh. the common pivot point should allow the pieces to be easily aligned in UEd as long as you use grid snap.

Comment

I don't know how Maya works, but at least with 3ds max all you have to do is export them in the position you want, and then make the properties >> location 0,0,0 for each part. They'll snap right to where they were in max.

Comment

You can also make the one big static mesh and then break it into smaller sections using the extract polygons command. Texture alignment stays intact.

Comment

Working...
        X