Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

myLevel problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    myLevel problem

    For some odd reason, i cant import anything into the package "myLevel". i try, but it doesnt work. it wont create the myLevel package.

    i looked at this thread but that wasnt the problem

    #2
    The myLevel package is not a seperate file. It is an embedded package in the map itself. If you would like to see myLevel, import a texture or static mesh into it and behold your creation.

    Comment


      #3
      Not of course forgetting the when you've got something in the MyLevel package, if you don't put it in your level, it won't be saved. This applies to textures / statics / everything.

      Comment


        #4
        After you cose the editor, dont save anything that might pop up unless you are saving to a specific package.

        FYI, you can also screw up the default game files doing this.

        The proceedure is to rename it to mylevel, add it, then build, then save. Upon closing, after the editor has shut down and you get pop up selections, do not save anything unless you specificly intend to creat new packages for the level.

        Comment


          #5
          Okay. i open the texture browser. i go to "Import". i find my texture. I change the package name to "myLevel". I click ok. This is what i come up with:



          When i click on the area circled in red to find the "myLevel" like what ive seen in other levels, its not there.

          Comment


            #6
            you may be trying to import a file that UEd can't handle, like a JPG, and the import is failing. check the log (View->Log) for an error message.

            i just tried to import a JPG i had on file & got exactly the same result as the screenie you posted. no message except in the log.

            though your image file may have a recognizable extender like .bmp or .tga, there's no guarantee that it actually IS one of those kinds of files -- a limitation of the Windoze file recognition system, i guess.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Lord d'Eath
              Okay. i open the texture browser. i go to "Import". i find my texture. I change the package name to "myLevel". I click ok. This is what i come up with:
              [imfg]http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421442905/1.jpg[/img]


              When i click on the area circled in red to find the "myLevel" like what ive seen in other levels, its not there.
              try opening your map in the texture browser

              Comment


                #8
                Images also have to be sized as powers of 2. 128/256/512 etc. Make sure yours is, or else it will not load.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by acc
                  Images also have to be sized as powers of 2. 128/256/512 etc. Make sure yours is, or else it will not load.
                  interesting -- trying to import wrong-sized TGA files generates a warning dialog, but not, it seems, with BMP files. learn sumthin' new ev'ry day.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I was trying to import a 800*600 Bitmap (*.bmp) image.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by chipV2
                      you may be trying to import a file that UEd can't handle, like a JPG, and the import is failing. check the log (View->Log) for an error message.

                      i just tried to import a JPG i had on file & got exactly the same result as the screenie you posted. no message except in the log.

                      though your image file may have a recognizable extender like .bmp or .tga, there's no guarantee that it actually IS one of those kinds of files -- a limitation of the Windoze file recognition system, i guess.
                      LOL, this isn't a OS bug. I imagine it could easily happen on Mac or Linux platforms that UnrealEd supports. :P

                      The problem is with the file itself. The thread Lord d'Eath referred to discussed this exact issue. I found that it happens not when the file is in a power other than *2, but instead when there is a problem with the file itself. There are lots of sub-settings to image files that can throw the editor off. If an image doesn't work, probably the most basic thing to do with tools that come with the Windows OS, is to open it in either Internet Explorer, or MS Paint and then resave it as a .bmp file. This of course provided it does not have any additional alpha channels or something as those will be lost doing this. From there the file should be imported without problems.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by AkumuX
                        LOL, this isn't a OS bug.
                        never said it was, just a limitation. if files are being recognized as a certain type based on the extension, and the extension isn't correct, then that leads to probs. that's all.

                        don't know about linux, but Mac files (pre-OSX, at least) use a scheme that is less prone to this kind of error, by including a type and creator label in the resource fork of the file. it's much harder to change these than it is to change a filename extender.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Thanks for all the advice everyone, but it still is not working :cry:

                          Comment


                            #14
                            800x600 won't work...reduce it to 512x512 or so...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              800 is not a power of two, niether is 600. Those are multiples of two.

                              2,4,8,16,32,128,256,512,1024,2048
                              Those are your choices.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X