Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bot Pathing Tutorial Update

Link

Per request, I added a section about ladders. The link is the same as before, and is also in my signature (as always).

Thanks for the tutorial........

I have a question........how do I get the bots to use the ladder? After botpathing the bots won't use the ladder anymore........

Any tips?

Comment

I've only used ladders in one of my maps, and the bots don't have any trouble with them. When I first wrote the tutorial, it was to address questions that were frequently being raised in level design forums. After the initial version, I started getting email from various people with other questions, and over time I've added those answers to the tutorial. Until now, no one has asked me about ladders, so I'm not sure what sort of problems mappers typically run into.

If you could give me a little bit more detail as to what's going on with your map, perhaps we could figure it out.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up mike :up:

Comment

Originally posted by Gusher
          Thanks for the tutorial........

I have a question........how do I get the bots to use the ladder? After botpathing the bots won't use the ladder anymore........

Any tips?
          Gusher,

I've used a ladder volume in one of the maps I'm working on recently.

The bots like using it, but most likely because there is something that they want a few units away from the top of the ladder.

Comment

Here, take a look at this........gives a better picture of how I have it........bots just passby the ladder and continue walking just around the hacienda........

Comment

Ah, that's an easy one.

First, the ladder volume is extending up too high above the ladder mesh. Lower it so that the bottom of the AutoLadder actor sits just above the top of the mesh. Second, there are no paths on that little balcolny, so the top of the ladder is essentially a dead-end. There's no reason for the bots to climb up there.

Once you adjust the height of the volume and add paths, you need to make sure that the bots can get from the balcony to the top of your ladder, or have an alternate route down. From the picture, it looks like it may be difficult for bots to jump over the rail and then climb down the ladder, but I couldn't be sure until I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
                Ah, that's an easy one.

First, the ladder volume is extending up too high above the ladder mesh. Lower it so that the bottom of the AutoLadder actor sits just above the top of the mesh. Second, there are no paths on that little balcolny, so the top of the ladder is essentially a dead-end. There's no reason for the bots to climb up there.

Once you adjust the height of the volume and add paths, you need to make sure that the bots can get from the balcony to the top of your ladder, or have an alternate route down. From the picture, it looks like it may be difficult for bots to jump over the rail and then climb down the ladder, but I couldn't be sure until I tried it.
                Thanks Blitz, I'll get back to work on making those changes and I'll get back to you.....

Comment

This is the best botpathing article on the net. great job man

Comment

Working...
                  X