Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon textureing and skinning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmQibZFly1A

As you can see I have the ability to "paint" what I can not do is handle a DDS file correctly , I need to be able to paint it and have it show up right, right now I export it to DDS use open it with PSP/photoshop with mips color it save it with its own mips import it using U.ED.

it shows with some new color but mostly the old.

How do I handle it correctly to keep the shiny effects on certain parts but color it how I wish?

the shiny parts are specularity, so you need to put in the specularity texture AND and alpha layer texture for the specularity map (i.e.where you want it to be shiny. Just copy these from the original material - note material not texture so you need to make a shader to do this function.

Comment

Originally posted by [s§s]Bison_Boy View Post
      the shiny parts are specularity, so you need to put in the specularity texture AND and alpha layer texture for the specularity map (i.e.where you want it to be shiny. Just copy these from the original material - note material not texture so you need to make a shader to do this function.
      and this is done how? 0-o

I have learned the 3-4 pics(material?) in the middle of a DDS file control the color of a weapon to change it and keep the specularity map I just have to color thos in and I get the color I want, this is a annoying process though,is there anyway to convert it so I just have to color the 1 large picture?
      I have Photo shop CS3 BTW prefer PSP9 tho.

I guess I need some tuts badly for this.

Comment

look at the materials tuts in UDN, you can do ALLL this using the materials editor in UT, The key is that you have to save each different kind of proscess as a different thing and then combine them all by modifying the one below it in the tree, or combine branches as you refine it. So the basic texture is called diffuse. To mix textures together you make a combiner. shinyness is specularity but what you see depends on the angle you look so this is usually an environmental texture map. Where you want something shiny is called the specularity map but this is tough because the info is contained in the alpha channel of the texture you use for the spec map. (do you know how to use alpha channels?) You set specularity using a shader. Yeh its complex and only gets much much more complex as you move to UT3 btw. Its worth learning as it really isn't too tough to do just lots and lots of little steps.

Comment

Working...
        X