Ground Fog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Fog

Ok is it possible to make ground fog in ut2004, that is outside the playable area?
    I have a playable area that has windows which look out to the non-playable area and i want that non-playable area to have ground fog that can be seen from inside the playable area. It is just such a ***** trying to find firstly tutorials on ground fog (not from udn cause they are all old version tuts) and then to find a way to make it viewable from inside the playable area
    Can anyone help with this??
    It would make my map look a tonne more visually enhanced with this

Hey not too tough really - several ways to do this - start with a sheet over the ground and apply a panning material of a cloud texture over it and pan slowly. If you make several layers with different offsets and pan rates it looks great! THere are lots of smoke textures that you can use in the original game - also check out someone's cloudy sky that'll work too. (to make a panning texture go into the material editor -> New -> package=myLevel, material -> give it a name, material type is TexPanner (no kidding that simple. THEN you open the tex panner and under its properties you'll find diffuse -> That is where you enter the smoke texture you want to play with BUT its really really easy to crash the editor here because while you weren't looking the editor went and selected the very material you are using so if you just hit use it'll try to apply the texture to itself = nonSequitor Error erroR %$&^$% and locks the game in an infinite loop and you have to use task manager to quit it!!!! So open up the texpanner, click on diffuse then open up the material editor again, find the smoke texture you want to use, select that, now go back to the stupid texpanner and hit use on diffuse. whew what a pain in the A$$! Now fiddle away to your heart's content. you can use material combiners and shaders to overlay 2 moving textures on top of each other= moocho coolo.

The other way to do this (pushed by the game design people) is to make an emitter that emits low clouds right above the ground. It does look a little better with lots of layers and fade in/out etc but then you have to learn how to make emitters (see my recent posts on what fun they can be )

Comment

thanx mate i will try it out tonight see how it goes, the good thing is it doesnt need to be too detailed so this should be good

Comment

Couldn't you create your skybox (or area) with 2 zones, and just have one of those zones (near to the ground) use distance fog?

just a minute and I'll have a screeny of what I mean.

[EDIT] Unfortunately I have to rescind that bit of advice- distance fog does NOT RENDER unless the player is physically in the zone with fog. OI! EPIC GAMES PEOPLE! Is there a way to get around this? Some special kind of distance fog or different fog effect?

gotta go Numb3rs is on

[EDIT2] numb3rs is a rerun and I just had another idea.

You could use an emitter- you could use the cloud texture and, say, you have a 256x256 room.
        You could emit a plane mesh of dimensions 256x256 with a cloud tex on it (can that be done??) and have it move sideways with no accel., etc.

the emitter spawns textures exactly so that it looks like a TexPanner of a single tiled surface.

As soon as the second texture moves off the room, it is deleted and another is spawned moving onto it... Is this making any sense?? I think it would work but it's hard to explain...

Comment

volumetric weather, including fog, is possible now in UT3 but not 2K4 or '99. The emitters suggested by shivan Hunter works fine, set multiple particles and about 4 layers and have them oscilate and fade in and out for the best effect. The only minor problem with all of these techniques is that there is always a sharp edge whenever the emitter or any texture runs into an object or terrain. DOn't know of a way around that other than another tiny cloud emitter right at the interface

Comment

Volumetric...does that mean you can have realistic clouds in UT3?

Comment

Originally posted by Herr General View Post
              Volumetric...does that mean you can have realistic clouds in UT3?
              Now isn't that perfect! Yeah it should have super clouds but I haven't seen one single UT3 map yet that takes advantage of it for anything but ground fog! One of these days,,,,,

Comment

Now I wish I could import UT3's volumetric weather into UT2004.

Comment

If you really want to get crazy you can make and envTexBox and fiddle with the settings so you get negative lensing effects. Use layers of that and its totally strange, I guess it could be a cloud!? I gave this up though when I found that you couldn't use an alpha tex box with an alpha'd shader (to blurr the edges) or you get the white box of material death (LOL - if you've neever experienced this - when you ask for more than the material editor can do the resulting material is just blindingly bright white.) However, you may be able to figure something out to your liking - my gripe was that I couldn't get soft edges.

Comment

Working...
                  X