trigger help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trigger help

hey im need a bit of help with a door i want to open after entering a code in a panel

but i know nothing

what do i need to do i alreay make my door be a mover

as far as i know there is no way to type into the game engine while playing. Typically you would just use a trigger that would be enabled by another trigger best route is a scripted trigger- for example, you go to the door and it won't open so have a proximity trigger display a message like "access denied until security code entered" or something like that. To do THAT you need to learn about scripted triggers btw, that'll take a couple of months of studying if you've never seen them before. So next the player hunts around in your level searching for the access code - when he finds it - have a handy "terminal" near by with a proximity triggger that triggers the scripted trigger to say something like "access code properly entered, you may now procede through security door". Its not all that tough unless you get into conditional triggers - which are really only difficult because no where is it explained that a conditional trigger event can't trigger anything else but another trigger and THAT next triggered event then can start or activate your mover.

I hope that this helps, the wiki tuts often fail to differentiate engines 2 from 2.5 from 3 and are hence all a jumbled mess, i'd stick with the UDN for help.

Comment

Right, as mentioned above, keep it simple. For reference on using ScriptedTriggers and Trigger Systems in general, see the UnrealWiki at

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Trigger_Systems

But, for projects using OSMT, I was thinking of a more complex system using the HUD/GUI system, bringing up a HUDOverlay or menu that allows mouse pointer control. I've used this in professional projects in this engine. But, the GUI system is not for the faint-hearted.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperApe View Post

But, for projects using OSMT, I was thinking of a more complex system using the HUD/GUI system, bringing up a HUDOverlay or menu that allows mouse pointer control. I've used this in professional projects in this engine. But, the GUI system is not for the faint-hearted.
        You Rock! I glanced at that stuff in UDN and phew, its a lot of details. Nice idea. Effetively that's all you'd need to make your own new game modded on UT

Comment

Working...
        X