Mover that activates with player proximity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mover that activates with player proximity

Could someone help me? I'm making a sliding door and want it to open when the player is close by and not only the player touches it.

I'm guessing I have to use a trigger but I'm still mystified by the sheer amount of variables in the trigger menu. (I'm also wondering how to tell a trigger to act on another object specifically (is it with event/tag?))

Thanks

edit: oh, and the door cannot be lighted for some reason, even if I did put bstaticlighting:true and bUnlit:false. Someone knows how to fix it?

IIRC you need dynamic lighting set to true to light it up - I usually use unlit because I think it looks better as it will usually just take the lighting from whatever initial position it has and hold onto that lighting all the time.

Did you run through the tutorials - eg Architonics and UDN? also bookmark UDN and UnrealWiki. Triggering anything isn't too tough after you do it a few dozen times so make a testmap and piece everything together until you get it to work - read the tutorials!!!! basicly a trigger sends out a radio message to the game engine that says whatever is in the event line of that trigger. Each itteration of time every actor is checked to see if its tag matches any events that have been broadcast and if so then does whatever that actor is supposed to do IF it is trigger enabled.

That said, you can probably do what you want to do by setting the mover's collision volume to be bigger, maybe even use box instead of cylinder.

Comment

Played in the settings, it works (the door raises before touching it!)

Comment

greAt! Don't be afraid of triggers! They are lots of fun and very powerful. Infact, somefolks use movers as complex triggers! Check it out - you can trigger different events every time you: start to open, finish opening, start to close and close - if you have multiple keys to your mover this corresponds to starting to accelerate enroute to the next key, getting to full speed enroute to the next key, starting to slow down as you approach the next key, stopping at the next key. Each event can trigger something else like a sound etc. It gets a little complicated in that somethings, like movers and emitters, will start with any event but some things like dynamic lights and material switches need regular events to trigger special triggers that trigger them (don't ask me why it makes no sense to me eather). Have fun

Comment

Working...
        X