Ugly shadows on my meshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugly shadows on my meshes

Just to show you my problem I made the same object like in AngelMapper's tutorial.
    I'm using MayaPLE 4.0 and it doesn't mather if I take a box or cylinder I always get ugly shadows when making holes in walls:

I do like this:

In the last pic I have triangulate. I have tried deleted some lines and made some new with the Split polygon-tool but I still can't get rid of those ugly shadows.
    You who use Max, Lightwave, exactly how do you make a simple hole in a wall without getting ugly shadows like my mesh??

Hi Salem

Well I use Max and if it was my model, id turn some of those edges a bit. Those at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions are almost overlapping. If thats not the problem, it maybe that you have some verts that need welding together.

Comment

Not sure what you you got going but did you weld your verts after triangulating and as fordy said make sure polys are not overlapping.

Comment

I can't find anything about welding in MayaPLE, exactly what menus or commandos do you go for weld vertices?

Comment

I use Lightwave so I don't know where its hidden in the menus in maya.

But in lightwave the default key is "m"....doubt it will work for you though.

Comment

even after following all suggestions, this model will probably still look like **** because Maya 4 PLE models lose all hard/soft edge info when exported to UEd -- everything gets smoothed. note the lack of a hard edge on the sides of the slab. hopefully this will be fixed in future unEditor.mll plugin versions, but that remains to be seen.

Comment

Yeah, we've had nothing but problems with Maya and smoothing here. Sometimes it works, most of the time something needs fixing.

Comment

Using quads will solve the problem but polys will increase........

Comment

Originally posted by Gusher
                  Using quads will solve the problem but polys will increase........
                  the unEditor.mll plugin doesn't automatically triangulate on export -- using quads for final export in Maya 4 PLE can result in missing polys.

Comment

Originally posted by chipV2
                    the unEditor.mll plugin doesn't automatically triangulate on export -- using quads for final export in Maya 4 PLE can result in missing polys.
                    All of you Maya PLE users ABANDON that app and get Gmax.......then get MD3 export script for Gmax and use Unwrap3d to export directly to UED.........

Only abandon Maya PLE is they don't fix the plugin.....

Comment

Or you can try LightWave.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...readid=325899&

Comment

Originally posted by DraZtiK
                        Or you can try LightWave.

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...readid=325899&

But but but...........

The LightWave 3D Discovery Edition is a fully functioning version of LightWave where objects can be saved with up to 400 points, and renders are subtly watermarked.
                        unquote

Gmax is not limited and has no watermarks..........all you need is th9e md3 export script addon and Unwrap3d........

Comment

Sorry Gusher...I'm not dissing 3DMax cause I use it too. but but but...you don't need to buy anything or use any other programs to create and import DIRECTLY into unrealed.

Also its easy to get around the vert limit if your meshes are truly large by just breaking the mesh up a tad before importing. anyway 400 points will go far...and I post this to help mappers, not push anything.:up: Again I like max too!

Comment

The term is "merge" in Maya, and "Weld" in Max.

To "merge" vertices, go to "Edit Polygons > Merge Vertices"

The goal is to make clean triangulated meshes. sometimes you need to merge verts and then delete them so you don't have mannifold triangulated polys all over your meshes, that don't need to be there.

Also, I would rebuild your surfaces, using the clean up tool. And then merge any unwanted verts, to reduce your poly count.

Try this (sometimes in differing order):

1. Merge Verts: First make sure all verts are properly merged.

Select your object, right click on it, select "vetex", left moust click, or marquee select over the verts in question; Edit Polygons > Merge Vertices; then if desired, delete those unwanted verts.

2. Delete unwanted edges:

right click on your object. select "edge" (now in sub object mode), select your edges (mulitple use shift + left moust select; delete edges.

3. Clean Up your meshes: Go to "Polygons > Cleanup" (read up on this in the help files).

Done

Comment

Originally posted by DraZtiK
                              Sorry Gusher...I'm not dissing 3DMax cause I use it too. but but but...you don't need to buy anything or use any other programs to create and import DIRECTLY into unrealed.

Also its easy to get around the vert limit if your meshes are truly large by just breaking the mesh up a tad before importing. anyway 400 points will go far...and I post this to help mappers, not push anything.:up: Again I like max too!
                              I almost forgot......http://www.milkshape3d.com is another alternative........it can export to lightwave format......and can export to PSK........also imports huge listed popular 3d formats.....

it's very cheap proggy...$25.00

www.unwrap3d.com is a must have!.......it's the ultimate tool for skinners and prefabbers........ $39.00

with those 2 cheap tools you will have all the power needed for making static meshes......

Most important of all is that I hope the plugin for Maya PLE gets fixed......that's priority....I'm sure they will

Comment

Working...
                              X