Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Static Meshes from Unreal 2 - The Awakening.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static Meshes from Unreal 2 - The Awakening.

If I use static meshes from Unreal 2 in a level I create, do I need to include the .USX file with the map? Or does the static mesh get saved with the map and anyone who doesn't have Unreal 2, will be able to see the Static Meshes without problem? I don't think the later is true - so is there an easy way to do this?

Originally posted by Corporal Hicks
    i once mailed mark rein about using unreal 2 meshes in (UT2003)... whether that would be allowed.... it is NOT

Comment

Allowed? What legal right do they have to say you can't? As long as it's for personal use and not for profit, I would imagine theres no recourse for them to do anything to you. We use Epic's meshes for most user made maps...that makes no sense...they've included Ued with both games...

If this guy really DID mail Rein, his response was probably that you "couldn't" use the meshes...as in they wouldn't work. Apparently they do though.

Not to doubt you, I just want to see an official word on it, not the quoted word of someone who said they got in an email from someone at Epic.

Comment

If its aginst the EULA in the game, then we agreed to not use them. But if they didn't mention it in the EULA, then there isn't much they could do leagaly to stop people from doing it - unless like scuzzbuster says you were trying to make a profit off of them some how. I'll check the EULA later, but my question still stands (even if only for my own personal refrence). Would I have to export the mesh and import it into the level using the MyLevel thing? Or should I go find out for certain if this is a no-no before I even discuss it further?

Comment

someone once told me that just installing some games broke ther EULA, and besides the point (asumming you live in america, i am not sure about other countrys law systems) you baught the game, they can tell you not to use parts of its, you own it, do you not?

Comment

Originally posted by scuzzbuster
            Allowed? What legal right do they have to say you can't? As long as it's for personal use and not for profit, I would imagine theres no recourse for them to do anything to you. We use Epic's meshes for most user made maps...that makes no sense...they've included Ued with both games...
            For a start, the two versions of UEd are deliberately incompatible.

Second, they might not be able to come after you with the law for using them (although even non-profit, if you released the map you'd certainly be breaking the law, it just wouldn't be worth their while to sue), but they have other options such as disabling your CD key for online play.

What you have to realise is that a EULA which limits how you use the game on your own machine might be dodgy, but a EULA which limits how you use and rerelease the content is not, since in the absence of a EULA or other statement of permission, you have no right to use it at all.

They've never had any problem with using the content from older games, but using the content from a new release is a bit more of an issue. Especially as the graphics in U2 are the only good thing about it, if you put them all in UT2003 why would anyone buy U2?

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor7
              They've never had any problem with using the content from older games, but using the content from a new release is a bit more of an issue. Especially as the graphics in U2 are the only good thing about it, if you put them all in UT2003 why would anyone buy U2?
              I personally bought both games, and even if you could import the cool graphics (meshes/textures/etc) into UT2k3, you still wouldnt get the immersive gameplay that was present in U2. I would by U2 for that reason. I would have liked to have a speed option while playing it, but I played and finished it nonetheless. I see your argument about the above, but I wish they had thought more long term about their multiplayer game when they licensed U2 to Legend and denied us something that could extend the life of UT2k3.

Just my .02

BaleFire

Comment

Yeah, I bought U2 before UT2003, because I like (good) FPS games, but I also like multiplayer. Flat death match multiplayer games (UT and Quake Arena) kinda **** me off. But then I get U2 and am like "where is the multiplayer?". I was shocked to see they striped it out, but it makes sense from a capitalistic (erm, *cough cough* business sense) to make the two game styles separate. However its VERY sad that you can't get features from both in the same game anymore. I say anymore, because it seems ID is going to do the same thing with Doom 3, and we'll probably see the whole FPS genre switch to this business model.

Hopefully Valve will remain true to their fan base and put both multi, and SP into Half Life 2 - but of course HL was a much better quality SP game over all, and they didn't need to rely on gimmicks to sell their product.

OK, enough of my cynicism. I know the world revolves around money.

As for using the graphics in U2, well it looks like it would probably be best to just leave that one alone. But it IS sad that we will never get any multiplayer experience from the U2 game.

Comment

*sigh*

In U2's ued3 - convert the mesh into a brush.. export the brush.
                  Export the hardware texture if possible.. take a fullsize, hi-res screenshot if needed.

In UT2k3's ued3 - Import the brush & texture.. apply the texture to your brush.. convert it to a mesh.. save it to 'mylevel'.

This is the easiest way I have found to use U2 items in UT2k3.
                  I have a nice little collection of 'forbidden brushes' that I'm using in my current project.

Have fun!
                  -=sneakums:bulb:

Comment

hehe Thanks sneaky_usb! I didn't even have any meshes in mind that I wanted to use, I just know there are a lot of good ones in that game. I didn't even know that the two package formats were incompatible so that you simply can't open the mesh and texture packages right inside of UnrealEd 3.0 for UT2k3. Strange...

Comment

I said before that it was deliberate, that might not actually be the case. Unreal 2 uses an older build of the engine so they might have just tweaked the package format since then.

Comment

Jebus, I only posted that reference because I didn't want to take an hour looking for the one where somebody posted an email from Mark Rein. Stupid Search function won't let you use "U2" as an entry. I'm still telling you that it's not allowed, I wouldn't do it as you could get in trouble for it. I'll go searching around for that email again.

Comment

u2 multiplayer is in beta now, its gonna be a free download l8r this year.

Comment

Holy thread bump Batman!

I think we've all figured that out by now.

Comment

lol, it was l8, and i forgot i searched for this thread,sorry folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X