Pathing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pathing

OK, I've got a very simple map- a square area with a recessed area in the middle. Two ramps descend into the recessed area which contains a shock rifle and two shock thingys for it. In each corner of the top there are 3 adrenaline pills, and on two opposite sides of the square there are two (4 total) player starts.

ALREADY MY MAP IS A TANGLED WEB OF LITTLE BLUE LINES! I haven't added any pathnodes yet! The paths go everywhere- there are some going up to the top area from the bottom, which should be inaccessible w/o use of the ramps, some even crossing through the railing meshes on the edge of the recessed area.

I don't have a screenshot now but I'll get one this weekend when I can get to my map.

Just tell me: Do these paths pose a problem? Will bots actually try to use some of the more ludicrous ones?

I'm going to need a set of jump points so bots can get to the top area by jumping on a set of crates at either end of the recessed area. This will increase the amount of paths I have!

The top area is, I think, 1280 by 1280 units. The recessed area goes about 192 units down and is 768 by 768. there are also two exits at either end of the square area- on the sides without playerstarts- which house the rooms for the Domination points.

PLZ HELP A FRUSTRATED N00B!

These are simply the paths from one pickup to another. They should not pose a problem once you put proper bot pathing in, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Path Node Colors

UT200x Color Codes

The color of the line between path nodes indicates to bots the general width of the path and therefore the ease with which to use it.
      • White
        A nice, wide path for the bots to follow. The bots will have no trouble following this path, seeing this as the most availble route to take. Bots will also see these paths as traversable by vehicles. See Pathing for Vehicles.
      • Green
        Not as good as a white path, but still a perfectly good path. Bots prefer white paths but generally there are other factors that influence their decision so this is not as big of an issue.
      • Blue
        This path is technically a good path, but is quite narrow. Bots will prefer a green or white path but will attempt to take this one if it is the only path available.
      • Purple
        Purple paths designate jumpspots, lifts, teleporters, etc. They have their own UnrealScript to define how bots feel about this type of path. If paths are not shown, a pink arc will show the expected path that a pawn will take when launched from the jumppad. When paths are shown this pink line will disappear.
      • Light Purple
        A path that takes the bot up or down a ladder.
      • Yellow
        A forced path. Used to tell bots that this path is available when the editor doesn't automatically connect two nodes. A path must be specifically set as forced in the pathnode properties.
      • Red
        A proscribed path. The pathnodes joined by this line, while technically connected, should never be used by bots. However, that is not to say that a bot will not end up at the other pathnode as a result of being hit, etc. and may continue along the path by "skipping" over the proscribed path. A path must be specifically set as proscibed in the pathnode properties.

===========
      Keep in mind that this color does not mean that your map in unplayable. It suggests bot behavior. Depending on your map, bots may not need 100% white nodes.

Comment

Here's t3h image- small (well, very small) DOM map with naught but a shock rifle.

See, the blue lines are already crowding the map- will the bots use any of these? And is there any way to force lines into being green like Kermit the Frog, so there will at least be some kind of priority as to which path a bot will take?

and yes, that's me in MS Paint at the bottom with the Command: and DrawScale3D:. lol

My problem is: first there are just too many paths there to proscribe and I couldn't do it anyway as the entire web is connected by InventorySpot paths.

Comment

Take a look at a tutorial about proscribed/forced paths. Looking at your capture, you should probably add more nodes and use proscribed/forced paths so that nodes don't connect over ledges like that and use ramps correctly. It can also make your paths look really clean. As for bot behavior, you can just load the map and see if bots do what you want them to do.

Comment

I can't either proscribe or force the paths between any of the InventorySpot actors, which are the problematic paths. They just don't have the +pathnode (or whatever it's in, I think it's called pathnode) menu in their properties.

Comment

REMEMBER, inventory paths are not sufficient, you still must path where you want the bots to walk.

Comment

Path lines that go down from unreachable places does NOT mean that AI will attempt to jump up to them, they only show a path DOWN from those places (or a flying path up for flying monsters/pawns). And FYI: inventory pickups work just like normal path nodes (except they contain pickup location information and a pickup).

Comment

Originally posted by .:..: View Post
                  And FYI: inventory pickups work just like normal path nodes (except they contain pickup location information and a pickup).
                  That's interesting! I thought that they didn't work right because I once layed out all the paths on a map as pickups and the bots went berserk just going back and forth between whatever 2 node they spawned nearest OR just standing still.

Comment

True, but a lot of the paths are going right through the railings.

about inventroy pickups: well if that's true then there should be a +pathnode option in the properties window, which I can't find. This weekend I'll check to see exactly how I placed the shock rifle in the map (whih Actor thingy I used)

FYI I'm using UED v3.0 which is included in ut2004 in the Anthology.

Comment

Originally posted by Shivan Hunter View Post
                      True, but a lot of the paths are going right through the railings.

about inventroy pickups: well if that's true then there should be a +pathnode option in the properties window, which I can't find. This weekend I'll check to see exactly how I placed the shock rifle in the map (whih Actor thingy I used)

FYI I'm using UED v3.0 which is included in ut2004 in the Anthology.
                      There are no path node options for pickup "paths", when defining paths editor will spawn "InventorySpot"s on every Pickup that works as "PathNode" (this is in use for AI navigation function 'FindBestInventoryPath' so that bots can wander around in maps picking up items). You can get the inventory spots visible by typing in "Command":
                      Set InventorySpot bHiddenEd False
                      But keep in mind that every time you define paths again the old inventory spots are being deleted and replaced again with new ones.

About that bots wander between 2 nodes over and over again, means they are unable to reach the next path, best way to fix this is to add 1 pathnode between those 2 nodes.

Comment

Working...
                      X