Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

static meshes / lighting

i am rather new to ued, so please bear with me

i know that static meshes get rendered differently and i also know that it is much better to create your static meshes in another program then import them into ued. the first i have not much control over and the second i don't have access to any other 3d modeling programs (that i know of anyway).

problem : i've got a rather basic looking tile floor with, surprise surprise, a secret tile that drops away (yes, please hold the applause for my wicked original idea..). anyway - i created the static mesh so that it would click into place and be visually undetectable - except when you throw shadows into the mix, the lighting is all screwy and the 'secret' tile is not so secret anymore.

question : what is my best solution for making the mesh render at least close to the bsp it is supposed to be mimicking? create new, tweak some settings or ?

hmmm... You could use some meshes on the floor, so that the tile is just another one of them or at least blends in more with the floor shading...

or maybe a light with a radius of 1, right on top of the mesh, so that it can blend in?

This would be hardest but you could make another mesh with different lighting so that it would blend in- but that would be almost impossible to coordinate perfectly.

Comment

Do you mean a mover or a static mesh? If you mean a mover, try enabling bStaticLighting in its Display properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Shivan Hunter View Post
        hmmm... You could use some meshes on the floor, so that the tile is just another one of them or at least blends in more with the floor shading...

or maybe a light with a radius of 1, right on top of the mesh, so that it can blend in?

This would be hardest but you could make another mesh with different lighting so that it would blend in- but that would be almost impossible to coordinate perfectly.
        can i infer that the mesh, when made, takes the lighting properties it was made in with it?

Originally posted by Herr General View Post
        Do you mean a mover or a static mesh? If you mean a mover, try enabling bStaticLighting in its Display properties.
        i believe you might be on the right track. i apologize, it is a mover. made from a static mesh that i made. soon as i can i will try that, thank you.

Comment

bStaticLighting did it :

can't tell at all anymore.

Comment

Working...
          X