online security camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

online security camera

i followed angel mapper's tutorial ( ty angel : http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/t...ritycamera.htm ) and have the camera in my map working - in single player mode. yes, i have applied the update specified to make it work online.

when i first set it up, the camera would of course work in single player but not online. in the camera's view are some elements that pop up after the game starts so online these items would never show in the tv view. after i modified the settings per the end of the tutorial these elements now show up but they are not animated and i do not see players when they come into the view of the camera. so it seems that my changes were respected by the rendering engine somewhat but i am not seeing the full camera/tv effect i am going for.

can anyone point me in the right direction? this isn't a big deal or anything i am just curious to see if i can get it working.

There are some features, like Karma, that simply don't work in multiplayer because of the way the processing between the computers is handled. I can't give much in the way of advice because that's probably way beyond my level at the moment, but keep it in mind. :/

Comment

I've noticed that you cannot see players in online cameras. I don't know how to fix it, unfortunately.

Comment

I don't think you actually can fix the not seeing player's thing without setting pawn.bAlwaysRelevant true for all pawns.

However, if you used the camera's as view targets instead (like in say duke nukem) then you migyht be able to get it to work since *I think* the engine uses your camera/viewport location to determine visual relevance of other players/pawns in network games.

Comment

Originally posted by meowcat View Post
          I don't think you actually can fix the not seeing player's thing without setting pawn.bAlwaysRelevant true for all pawns.

However, if you used the camera's as view targets instead (like in say duke nukem) then you migyht be able to get it to work since *I think* the engine uses your camera/viewport location to determine visual relevance of other players/pawns in network games.
          hmm, ok, that might be worth looking into buuut.. i'm guessing setting all pawn.bAlwaysRelevant to true would be a mod? i'm also guessing it would be pretty 'heavy' and maybe not advisable? srsly, ?

Comment

No, it woudln't be advisable. It would increase the network traffic hugely.

The trick described in the tutorial DOES normally work. Perhaps you made an error like not using the newly created camera?

Try the actor of THIS package. I don't know who made it, though.
            (The actor is called OnlineCameraTextureClient)

Comment

Originally posted by Gugi View Post
              No, it woudln't be advisable. It would increase the network traffic hugely.

The trick described in the tutorial DOES normally work. Perhaps you made an error like not using the newly created camera?

Try the actor of THIS package. I don't know who made it, though.
              (The actor is called OnlineCameraTextureClient)
              ya know, i went in and checked, i was using the right one, and i had the defaults setup the way specified too. swapped this one out for mine and bam it works. hey, whatever!! thanks!

one more question, if you don't mind : how could i change it so that this class lives in myLevel instead of the .u file? i got how to 'new..' and extend the original CameraTextureClient and put it in myLevel, but this seems to elude me..

Comment

sry, dunno. :/

I think you can import the script and save it in myLevel or something like that...

Try the unreal wiki.

Comment

no worries i'll get it - thanks for the pointer - much obliged

Comment

Working...
                  X