True "realistic" clouds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True "realistic" clouds?

Is there any way to make clouds which look realistic(puffy and 3D)? Most emitters in the game just have a flat texture which is the same no matter how you look at it- which is very bad looking. I would love to have realistic clouds which move very slowly across the sky and horizon. I am also trying to do away with a basic skybox, I want to have some of the cloud meshes be actual objects in the level which are very big and very far away but move just so little that it looks realistic.

My advice: use a MeshEmitter in conjunction with distance fog. You might make the mesh a kind of layered onion of cloud textures or a lattice, like three textures aligned perpendicular to each of the axes. Simple SpriteEmitters can make excellent fog though- I recommend trying it with AlphaBlend (IIRC- dunno which offhand).

However, my former suggestion almost certainly would mean making your own mesh with some GIMP/Photoshop/other skill to boot.

Amother thing about clouds- which is why I'm using SpriteEmitters in my level (although my clouds can only be seen from one place in the map)- is that they change shape. My sky isn't a good comparison however, because I'm trying to create a 'storm' effect with a fast-moving cloud overcast.

What kind of effect are you trying to create?

Comment

I'm trying to have clouds be seen in the distance that move slowly. There will be none above the map itself, just far away.

Thanks for the advice though!

Comment

If you are viewing them from far away, you don't need them to be 3D. I'm sure you can make an emitter with a texture or set of textures, that you might have to make yourself, that will do the job. You can add layers of clouds (at different altitudes) so that the far high-altitude clouds move slower. Anyway, it all comes down to textures.

Comment

I am planning on putting different layers of clouds anyway, but I'm not good at making my own textures or emitters. Could someone provide an example of what looks good?

Comment

there are lots of good "Smoke" textures with the editor - to make clouds you just stretch them out and give them motion in the emitter. Just remember that whenever you spawn an emitter, no matter how you orient it, the texture its spawns will remain oriented at right angles to each and every viewer.

Comment

Working...
            X