Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collision Problem!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Collision Problem!

    Ok guys, I've been fighting with this problem for about 3 weeks now and so far had no luck with fixing it. I hope some of you have ideas!

    Summary of the Problem: I've been creating many statics but recently I run into this problem!
    I build a static mesh, I create a MCDCX type collision for it. I then export it into the package, add itto a map and go play! Well I soon discouver that my bullets just go through the thing.
    Well I immediately tried re-exporting, checking all the common ase export bugs but the problem remained.
    I then went on to the UDN and did some extensive research on collision. I found out that in my case collision with bullets (ZeroExtentTraces or Projectiles) would be based on Material Collision of the object. I checked it and it is set to true, as it should be. So this leaves me with nothing once again.
    The latest case of this problem was even more bizarre, because certain parts of the same model were absolutely fine, yet others were still missing collision. About every 3 model I make has this issue. This leads me to believe that it must be originated during modeling of unwrapping process. However, I cannot find why, when nor what I can do to fix it.
    P.S. I tried 3ds max version 5 and 6 both seem to have the same problem!

    If anyone has any idea what could be wrong help would be really appreciative.
    Cheers!

    #2
    It happens.
    I did some tests by breaking up the model in several ways and checking if the collision errors would change or go away. I found out that the collision of (a part of) the mesh could get effected by 1 bad poly. Meaning: if that poly was on one part of the mesh that mesh would have bad collision, if it was on another than that segment would have bad collision.
    I have no idea what causes a poly to go bad, and no idea how to fix them.

    Try creating a box, attatch the model to the box (not the other way around), and then delete the box polys.
    Or break up the model to find out where the bad poly is, delete it and recreate it. Which can be a tedious process.

    Comment


      #3
      a thought

      I've been working with tons of static meshes... many of them had collision problems. The way I've been fixing them is by moving them onto the max grid (IE: removing the decimal places from the vertex positions). I have also found that working with grid snap and rotation snap helps as well.

      Another thing your could try is resetting the scale and transform of the object from 3DMax (a xForm modifier wouldn't hurt either).

      Don't forget to collapse the stack.

      Comment


        #4
        I've been doing the bulk of my mapping in Max as well but I've not had any collision problems.

        I mostly Ignore Max's grid I only use it for sizing.
        Maybe it is what I am not doing.-

        I have never collasped the stack
        Never covert to editable mesh -just leave it as a poly
        the MCDCX collision are made of boxes -that are not-Turn to Poly 'd (this could be it)

        I do Turn to Poly my mesh tho'

        Try enlarging your MCDCX col.s Also did you know that you can have multipul MCDCX col. on one mesh?


        - I just checked the UDN site and they say to leave gaps between col. -another thing that I don't do.

        Comment


          #5
          What I usually do is just export the collision as an actual static mesh, with like a bright red skin on it (UCGeneric has the solid color textures). I add the normal mesh and turn off all collision, then add the collision mesh as a normal mesh, and set bShadowCast = False and bHidden = True, and set it to per poly collision in the static mesh browser (all False).

          Comment


            #6
            Cortexreaver and Phennim thanks a lot for the tips, I'll try it out and see how it goes!

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Angel_Mapper
              What I usually do is just export the collision as an actual static mesh, with like a bright red skin on it (UCGeneric has the solid color textures). I add the normal mesh and turn off all collision, then add the collision mesh as a normal mesh, and set bShadowCast = False and bHidden = True, and set it to per poly collision in the static mesh browser (all False).

              Yeah, a good method when a static mesh is not convex and you can't use a collision model.

              Comment

              Working...
              X