Alpha Channels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    If you have the dds plug-in for Photoshop, I would recommend it. You'll have to add the alpha information in a new channel (beside the layer tab), when you save as a dds file make sure to use DXT3 or DXT5 (5 is bit bigger but cleaner alpha translucencies) The DXT1 with alpha does not do gradated alphas.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    1) make sure your texture file has a proper alpha channel
    2) make sure you save the file in a 32-bit format (24 bits color + 8 bits greyscale alpha)
    3) check the Alpha checkbox (not the Masked) when importing, OR
    4) after importing, in the texture's properties (rightclick on the texture in the browser), set Surface>bAlphaTexture to true, OR
    5) in a Shader, you can use another file's alpha channel as the Opacity property

the alpha channel is 8-bit greyscale which means you have 256 shades of grey from white to black to create variable opacity. white = 100% opaque, black = totally transparent (0% opacity), 50% tint of grey = 50% opacity, 75% grey = 25% opacity, and so forth. in Photoshop you can manipulate the alpha channel just like any other greyscale image, or create it separately and then paste it in place.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Alpha Channels

Alpha Channels

How do I go about getting alpha channels with gradients to be imported correctly in UnrealEd? I am able to make certain areas of a texture completly transparent but I want to make some textures translucent.
Working...
X