terrain collision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

terrain collision?

I know that static meshes take up alot of fps because every poly is calculated for accurate collision, I was just wondering could I turn off collision for terrain? would that help optimization? I have terrain in my map but it is only for decoration and players will not be able to walk on it etc. was just curious.

If the player can't walk on it, the engine never has to calculate collision for it. Only if you like, can still shoot stuff at it, and even then only for those projectiles/beams.

Comment

hmm, well I mean players could just walk over to it and walk on it atm, but I was going to put blocking volumes blocking players from being able to go onto it. Also, what other ways can I optimize terrain? is antiportal and cull distance the only way to optimize terrain? I'd like to make it so terrain that is not seen are not rendered, I wish the visibility tool actually removed the faces they touched not that big of a deal but I'm trying to make sure my map runs smoothly on all computers, and well my computer is a pretty decent rig so I dont know just how well this runs on other computers.

Comment

Originally posted by CTFX1
        I wish the visibility tool actually removed the faces they touched
        The engine does not render parts of ther terrain that have visibility=false.

Comment

oh awesome so that does help as optimization?

btw I tried turning everything in the terrain collision properties to false and the engine still calculates colision just wanted to add that,

Comment

I would focus your attention on other things to optimize, don't spend too much time trying to mess around with this terrain. :bulb:

Comment

I once put blocking volumes around alot of static meshes. I gained like 1 fps :/. It's alot more important to make good use of antiportals and zoning. Especially zoning, zoning really is the easiest and best tool to optimize your map.

Comment

yeah I know, I'm not puting blocking volumes around terrain to optimize, I actually want to block it off, I dont want players going onto it. Its just decoration to make my enviroment more realistic.

Comment

Then at least make a natural boundry as well (rocks, bushes, something) because walking against an invisible wall = uberlame.

Comment

CTFX if it is just for decoration ( a bit like the ravine that is viewable out of the window in AugusNoon) then the two things I would suggest are making it out of the largest terrain polies you can, therefor keeping the polies down.Without detracting from the aesthetics of the thing anyway. Secondly I would set up a culldistance for it ( if the frames are being hit when the terrain is not visible). Lastly if the player is not going to go near it then collsion will not be an issue as the engine wont bother to do any calculations for it seeing as the player will never be in a position to touch it.

You could try manually excluding the zone that its in but this would depend on its position and its visiblity within your map.

Comment

Anti-Portals are your friends. Put them inside cliff walls or steep mountains in the terrain, places where the player will never ever be able to walk or jump into.
                      You will also want to use the Visibility tool in the terrain editing window. If there is any terrain that the player will never be bale to look at or see, you can use the visibility tool to erase it.

Comment

I just did massive visibility work on the terrain last night, got rid of quite a bit :bulb:, I hear you about the invisible blocking volumes, I'll do what I can to make it as realistic as possible but since dm now has tl I will need to put in bv's in anyways. oh also, antiportals are also your enemy too, if you use them too much honestly I had more than 200 fps at one time and it was uber laggy :bulb: a few antiportals can do wonders more than a few will destroy playablity on a map. antiportals cant be used eficiently for terrain optimization in my map because the entire map is surrounded by the terrain, its going well tho the map is progressing everyday just wish it would progress faster lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X