Setting up Skyboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Ahh, then I can see where it may have its uses. There are some corners on my maps that are really hard to not have pitch black in. That setting might help.

Thanks guys!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Agreed.

How ignorant. We havent told Akuma what it is!!

Like Angel says itincreases the overall (ambient) brightness to make even the darkest portions of your zone have a base "ambient light". So like she says if she used an ambient brightness of 5 in a specific zone then the darkest parts of her zone its set up in will have a brightness of 5.

Ok

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Wolv34ine
    Ambient brightness is a setting that you will find in the display properties of the zoneifo actor. Its lousy and I severyl doubt anyone would use it.
    I used it in Elven Dreams. It's good to use if you don't want to have any pitch black shadows in your map, but it's best to never go above a setting of 5.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ambient brightness is a setting that you will find in the display properties of the zoneifo actor. Its lousy and I severly doubt anyone would use it. I am sure it has its uses for maps with special effects in them but if you map is a conventional one I would suggest not using it.

Try it, its not permanent and you will see how yuky it makes stuff look.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ambiant brightness... People keep mentioning this. Is this something that works with conventional lights, or is it a seprate lighting all together?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Each different couloured area in your map ( in zone view) denotes the areas that are sealed off with your non solid zone bushes. Placing a zone info actor in each of these zones will allow you to name the zone and alter the ambient lighting, fog and a whole host of other groovy stuff.

In areas where the sky is visible you must have a zone info as players will not see your sky. I did this once before I figured the soloution and it frightended the life out of me!!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks AM, that's much more helpful. Even though how the engine figures out what is and isn't a zone is still a little 'magical' to me. Looking at my zone/portal view I can see my zones are differnt colors, so I think I know how to make them at least.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No, just each zone.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ouch, so you should have a zoneinfo actor in all subtraction brushes!?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just the areas where the sky is visible, but it's good to use ZoneInfos in your other zones as well, mainly for giving them location names without having to use volumes everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    drwhojm: The problem was using two zone infos in the skybox. Thanks for the help though.

Fecal Marmaset: Yeah, i remembered reading those threads, but forgot the solution. I'm curious though.... Do i need to include a zone info in EVERY primative area that can see the skybox, or just any area between the player and the sky? IE: There are lots of subtraction brushes inside my level that can see the sky (doors to other larger areas etc), do they all need zone infos' or just the main area that has the fake backdrop?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Be sure to put a regular zone info in the area(s) that the skybox will show. It is needed for "online" play. :up:

Leave a comment:

• replied
    do you have a zoneinfo actor in your map area?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    BAAAAA! I figured it out. I was using two zone actors in the skybox, one for the terrain I was using there, and the other the SkyZoneInfo actor. I elminated the actor that was allowing the terrain and made the skyzoneinfo actor allow terrain and now it works.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Er when I say its not working, thats what I mean, when I enable view backdrop. I haven't tested it in game, because in my past experiance it should always work in the editors perspective viewport if it is working.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X