Setting up Skyboxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up Skyboxes

OK, I've created skyboxes before using this tutorial. It worked fine on other maps I've created, but now its not working.

To create a skybox, the most basic steps are;
    [list=1][*]Create a subtractive brush somewhere in the map not connected to the rest of the map.[*]Add a SkyZoneInfo actor inside the space intended to be the Skybox.[*]Change the properties of any surfaces inside your map that are intended to look into the skybox to "Fake Backdrop".[/list=1]

Then if you turn on the Show Backdrop view inside the editor’s perspective view port you should see what your SkyZoneInfo sees looking into your skybox, right? That’s how it worked on my other maps, and its not working on this one for some reason. I've spent over an hour on this, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried rebuilding all, and changing the textures on both the skybox and the walls I have set to "Fake Backdrop".

Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

ambientbrightness
    or just place a light in youre subtracted cube

Comment

Hum, adding light didn't help.

Comment

Right-click on viewport toolbar (where it says dynamic-lighting or whatever) and go to "show backdrop" or "view backdrop"

Does your skybox work in-game? If not, ignore what I've just said.

Comment

Er when I say its not working, thats what I mean, when I enable view backdrop. I haven't tested it in game, because in my past experiance it should always work in the editors perspective viewport if it is working.

Comment

BAAAAA! I figured it out. I was using two zone actors in the skybox, one for the terrain I was using there, and the other the SkyZoneInfo actor. I elminated the actor that was allowing the terrain and made the skyzoneinfo actor allow terrain and now it works.

Comment

do you have a zoneinfo actor in your map area?

Comment

Be sure to put a regular zone info in the area(s) that the skybox will show. It is needed for "online" play. :up:

Comment

drwhojm: The problem was using two zone infos in the skybox. Thanks for the help though.

Fecal Marmaset: Yeah, i remembered reading those threads, but forgot the solution. I'm curious though.... Do i need to include a zone info in EVERY primative area that can see the skybox, or just any area between the player and the sky? IE: There are lots of subtraction brushes inside my level that can see the sky (doors to other larger areas etc), do they all need zone infos' or just the main area that has the fake backdrop?

Comment

Just the areas where the sky is visible, but it's good to use ZoneInfos in your other zones as well, mainly for giving them location names without having to use volumes everywhere.

Comment

ouch, so you should have a zoneinfo actor in all subtraction brushes!?

Comment

No, just each zone.

Comment

Thanks AM, that's much more helpful. Even though how the engine figures out what is and isn't a zone is still a little 'magical' to me. Looking at my zone/portal view I can see my zones are differnt colors, so I think I know how to make them at least.

Comment

Each different couloured area in your map ( in zone view) denotes the areas that are sealed off with your non solid zone bushes. Placing a zone info actor in each of these zones will allow you to name the zone and alter the ambient lighting, fog and a whole host of other groovy stuff.

In areas where the sky is visible you must have a zone info as players will not see your sky. I did this once before I figured the soloution and it frightended the life out of me!!

Comment

Ambiant brightness... People keep mentioning this. Is this something that works with conventional lights, or is it a seprate lighting all together?

Comment

Working...
                              X